What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

How long can you delay dormancy? I don't want to spend 3 to 5 months staring into my frig. Can I delay dormancy for a period of time on some of my plants so I can have a year around friend? I would like to keep some VTF's around all through the winter months. How long can dormancy be delayed before there is a problem?

Not observing proper dormancy requirements for VFT's usually spells death for the plant, or at least weakens it considerably. If you want a plant that doesn't require any dormancy, you should think about buying a D. capensis, which is an easy plant to grow, and has no dormancy requirements. You could also invest in a mexican ping, or in a nice windowsill Nepenthes.

I second what Mannex17 says and would like to just supplement it. There are many sundews that can grow year round on a window sill as well as many pings. D. spatulata, D. capensis, D. adelae are a few common, easy, and attractive ones. The Mexican pings and P. primuliflora are also ideal candidates for year round window sill cultivation. Except for D. adelae, the rest will also flower easily for you and also produce new plants.

I had to do a quick profile check to make sure you weren't in the Sounthern Hemisphere, because dormancy would be an issue right now. But you are only in Dixie, so dormancy needn't be a concern for now. Also, 3 months is adequate rest for a VFT, while you may enjoy other CP's on the window sill.

What I was really thinking was putting some to bed early, like August. Then waiting till Feburary to put the others to sleep. That way I'll have some one to talk to year round.
smile_n_32.gif

Extending the growing season probably isn't a good idea. If you are up for an experiment, try shortening it.
Give your subjects an artifically shortened day (bring them in under lights or maybe stick them in a spot with less direct light than they get now) and declining water levels for a month or so and then bring them in to the fridge a month or so early. I don't think that you need an entire three months of dormancy, as the lack of light and consistent cold apparently consititutes a deeper state of dormancy than usual, but don't try to cut corners - they need at least two months and I'd probably try for two and a half the first season. Then, bring them out early and give them a simulated spring. Pay attention the first year and see how the plants fare.
I wouldn't expect to get winter-growing VFTs in one year this way - you'll probably need around three years or so, if you can manage to create and work a 10-month long 'artificial year.' Get out your calendar.
I have seen this suggested somewhere, I don't remember where though. It's certainly worth a try. Please keep us updated.
~Joe

PS - You might have better luck just starting a crop from seed this fall and waiting for them to mature. It would certainly be easier, once you had the proper set-up.

Back