What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

Well i woke my plants up from dormancy to see that some of them didn't make it. I had two venus fly traps die......which weren't doing extremely well before hand since I didn't put them through dormancy the year before. And......my spatulata which was thriving didn't make it either. I had them in a small bowl terrarium, or else I wouldn't have put the spat through dormancy. But I did have 6 healthy venus fly traps make it through, and my rotundifolia looks kinda sad, but out of the clump it looks like two little plants made it.......so hopefully they will be ok. Live and learn I guess
smile.gif

- Joel

I put them downstairs in my grandma's old house. It stays at about 35-40 degrees all winter and watered them occasionally. I wonder if I went too long without watering them......

I don't know about underwatering them in dormancy. I let mine get nearly desertlike conditions sometimes and they don't de-hydrate or die off. Perhaps a lack of light? They do like some light in dormancy, not alot but some.

I hear ya, Joel - especially the live and learn part. I lost several Nep cuttings, aome epiphytic Utrics, a D. anglica,and have been dealing with aphid on capensis, spatulata, and adelae. I just pulled my VFT's & Sarrs out of the fridge and am crossing my fingers.

On the other hand, other utrics have been blooming all winter. D. filiformis and binata awoke from hibernacula and are sending out many new leaves. P. sethos has been flowering and a seed pod has just germinated many seedlings. So has a filiformis (all red). Chalk it up to learning curve.
biggrin.gif

My indoor stuuf that went through dormancy went surprisingly well... I had some D.filiformis cuttings which basically formed roots and hibernaculae as soon as they took (I thought I could trick them and grow them all winter, guess not)
I put them in my basement window where they froze a few times and got lousy light, and I got them all back... I am quite pleased with my beginners luck at this point

Now all's I gotta do is wait for the snow to melt to find out if nature was as successful as I was
biggrin.gif

Back