What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

what will my Sarrs look like when they go into dormancy?Right now some of them are like slowing down the growing process,no new pitchers have formed in the last couple of weeks, so i guess thats what will happen, but will they turn brown?all die out?what what what?!?!?
Thanks,
Kevin
wink.gif

If they get frost, mine have always turned brown and died back, but last year they didnt get "frosted", and they kept all foliage untill the following spring. Mine are slowing down too.
Cole

Basicaly, they just cease to grow, and depending on the conditions, the pitchers may die back. By the way, can sarracenia go dormant with very ittle light and temps in the 70's?

How about no light and the refrigerator?
confused.gif

joe

My flava is showing signs of dormancy by producing "phylodia" (spelling?), which look like aborted pitchers. My purpurea, I'm sure, is going to go dormant soon, but there are no real outward signs...so I guess it depends on what sort of sar you have....
confused.gif

figures.

Most of the Sarracenia in my colection are asleep right now. Leucophylla is still making growth at the growing point but not sending any pitchers up anymore so it's prolly done too. But right now MOST of the temp. CP's should be going dormant, except VFT's they will grow a tad longer then stop. Purp's should be dormant now. I already have frozen pitchers on ym purpurea purpurea outside. The water inside has big chunks of ice floating around in them all day today.It's been cold here.

The fridge will be fine with no light Joe just make sure you used some fungicide and they don't freeze in the back if the fridge. It would be a good idea to check them every now and then to make sure they are ok and fungus free.

Back