What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

Since I have a lot of leaves in the yard, wondering can I rake a pile of leaves and put my VFT along with my pitcher plant inside the leaf pile during the winter months without harm?

I don't see why not, although if it realy gets cold where you are like lots of snow you may want to find a place that is covered. I have mine out on our front porch (wich is covered) next to the house and covered with leaves so they don't get frost bitten or frozen. I also live in Washington near Seattle our winters are cold but since we are by the water we don't get too much snow. If we do get a realy cold winter this year I plan on moving them into the garage. Although this is my first year at this I was told by a grower of cps in the area that this is the way he does it.

I think that would work great!

Try to avoid exposing them to frost - I lost my entire collection last year by leaving the door of the greenhouse they were in open.

eplant,

Just a thought as you might be in slug country like I am. The pile of leaves will provide a nice warm winter home for the slugs and your plants in the middle might be their winter supper. I would suggest placing crushed egg shells underneath and all around the pots first, or the slug pellets (I prefer the non chemical, but to each his/her own).

Good Luck,
Linda ö¿ö

I think that I am with Linda on that.

Not just slugs but you might attract anything that could do damage to the plants.

doesn't garlic keep a lot of things away ( like your girlfriend after having a bunch). I would also say Marigolds...but I believe that they are out of season.

What you might do is just rake the leaves in a pile this winter and just see what happens (without the plants.) Then you will know next time what "else" is attratced to the warmth and how cold it gets.

My &#360.02 :smile:

Back