What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy requirements

Hi:

I have Dente and Red Dragon vfts. They will be outside as soon as I get acclimated.

However, I'll need to bring them in approximately September or they will get killed off by frost/snow. Do they get stored in the refrigerator for dormancy like Sarracenias do? If so, do I cut off the foliage when it turns black?

I have left my VFT's outside until November, but I live in a slightly warmer area than you. VFT's can take feezingtemps, but you don't want it to be deep or long lasting. I also had mine in the refigerator. Some people take the plant out and use fungicides and then place in baggie. I haven't done that. Two years ago I had mine, as is, open tray, in the butter keeper. Last year I had VFT's & Sarrs in the fridge at the lab, again open tray. I kept them barely moist and had no problems with mold. Cut off anything that is black. They can be treated as one does Sarracenias

So down here in Ga I should be able to just leave the Sarrs and VFT out all year and let mother nature take care of them? Unless its a Hard freeze since they are in pots and not a bog? Thats going to be fun setting up when I get the time and money. he he

Diana,
yes, all VFT's will require the same dormancy conditions as Sarracenia.
*cool* winters, temps of 35-55 fahrenheit is ideal.
your Michigan winters will be far too cold.
and indoors on a windowsill is far too warm.

check out how I do mine..I have the same climate as you:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....ar+life

Scot

that's exactly what i do Josh. i live about an hour from atlanta. i'm in the metro-atlanta area.

I like the baggie idea to keep them damp and not having to water them. Do you mist them one more time before you bag them? Also do you think it would be a good idea to bag them up in a unheated garage?

Thanks for the walkthrough Scot. I'm here in Buffalo and this will be my first winter putting my plants in dormancy. This helps out a LOT!

Back