What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormacy

Im wanting to put my plants into dormacy , and just leaving them outside is the most attractive option to me. I live in San Francisco, California, in the winter the temperature never drops below freezing, but since Im so close to the ocean it doesn't get very cold, 50F is the coldest it will get at night where I live. WIth the daytime highs around 65F. Is this cold enough for my VFT's? I currently have them in a terrarium and have been growing them indoors where the temperature is a constant 70F.

I also have a Sar Pitcher plant growing outdoors that I'm planning on just leaving out there as well during the winter.

oh I forgot to mention I just got the plants very recently from an online nursery. The oldest is about 2 months (thats how long I've had it, the plant is probably 3 years old) and the newest one comes tomarrow.

Welcome to the forum Blak519. The person to best answer this is Capslock. He lives in SF also. I believe he leaves his Sarrs and VFT's outdoors year round. I am about 40 miles south of you in San Jose and leave my plants outdoors year round also, but as you know, the weather here is quite different that San Fran.

Since you have been keeping your plants indoors all this time I would say go ahead and just keep them inside till spring. After that move them outside full time. They will survive 1 year without dormancy just fine. It "probably" wouldnt hurt them to go outside right now, its not too late to start dormancy, but if you are worried and want to play it safe then they will be fine if kept inside this year.

Good luck
Steve

Capslock if you see this please respond, do you leave your VFT's outside in the winter? Is it cold enough to trigger their dormacy?

I too live in the Bay Area. Yes, leave'em outside. If they go into dormancy, they go into dormancy, If it is too warm, they will just continue growing, though very slowly. Either way, they should be just fine, and you can worry about them less.

I lived on 8th Ave in SF for a number of years and left my VFTs outside all of the time. They did great. The lower winter temps and reduced photoperiod will provide sufficient dormancy to keep your plants healthy.

Back