What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dont really understand how to do dormancy...

i know that i have to keep the soil moist, and put it in a refrigerator during winter, right? but then how would i give it light? if the door of the fridge closes, the light turns off. and there isnt a cool place outside or inside either. so how would i do it?

The idea is less light and cooler temps.

You can place the plant in a garage if the temps aren't too cold.

Or the fridge is the next best option.

Check the plant weekly ( or daily if you like ). Just keep the soil moist. Not wet like during the growing season.

The whole dormancy thing is to give the plant a break. All spring, summer and fall the plant is thriving and using tons of energy to make leaves, traps, flowers....

So in the winter, it needs a nap.
smile.gif

You can leave it in the pot. Place a plastic baggie over it. Place in the front of the fridge ( the back can sometimes get really cold ). And just keep moist. Check on it to make sure that it doesn't dry out and that is pretty much it.

Put it in the day after Thanksgiving ( Nov. 25 ) and bring out around Easter ( Mar. 31 ).

Hope this helps!
smile.gif

Let us know if you need more info.

Hi Venus
smile.gif

It would help to know what area you live in. Do you have cold winters? If not, then yes you will need to refrigerate it. In its dormant state, it doesn't need light so its not a problem that the fridge light is off when the door is closed.

I live in an area where mine can winter over outside so I don't have to do the fridge thing. But there are lots of people here who do so I'm sure several people can answer your question on how to do that...I do know its not complicated or anything. And you've got plenty of time...I think most people don't put there VFTs to sleep until around Thanksgiving.

Suzanne

Well....Jaie beat me to it!

thanks alot..just wanted to make sure what i needed to do

btw. i live in houston (u already know this but anyway) so can i take it out earlier than easter? like around beginning of march

I've always heard the general rule of thumb is in by Thanksgiving and out by Valentine's Day.

But everyone has their own way of doing this.

Suzanne

Do different states have different dormancy times? I live in NYC, so would it still be Thanksgiving? and Valentines Day or Easter? Does 2 months make a difference? Would leaving it on a shady window sill be enough?

megan, they answered your question I wish you well with your plants oh it wouldn't hurt to
put a fungicide on them before you do put them in dormancy like ( banrot or cleary 3336 wp)
that way you know it isn't likely they will grow a fungus pft has the fungicide you need.
biggrin.gif

This will be my first season putting vft's into dormancy, but I think that the turkey & trimmings will unfortunatley take over the room for my vft's.
To solve this problem, I may purchase a small, dorm-sized refridgerator to accomodate my vft's for their dormancy period.
Am I becoming a fanatic?
I think so!!!!
I only have two right now, but who know's how many I will end up with when November comes around!!!
tounge.gif

I would hug and kiss your flytrap...tuck it into bed...then say "goodnight my Honey I Love You"...hehehehe
tounge.gif
wow.gif
wink.gif

travis

meagan,

A windowsill might be enough as long as it is cold.

The plan should exhibit no signs of growth during this period of time, if it does, it's not truly dormant.

Also, it is not neccessary to put the plant down the first year you own it. Chances are it's only been out of tissue culture for a few months if you just bought it from the store, and you can probably get buy just growing it straight through till next thanks giving... however, it's growth will be better if provided with dormancy.

and spraying it down with fungicide is an excellent idea.

Back