What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doggone vft's!

I went out to my bog gardens to see how dormancy was coming on, and found 3 plants with flowers on 3 and 4 inch stalks. Will someone kindly send them some reading material so they will know they are late in flowering?? I have tried talking to them, but they won't listen. I told you VFT's were funny critters, but even after growing as long as I have, this one is a first for me. Love it!! Always with the suprises.

Haha Bugweed.. Maybe you could hook up a laptop and set it out in the garden and tell them to surf through the forum for a while. Im sure there are plenty of folks here who could tell them that they are not following the norm. lol

Cheers
Steve

Have to be wireless, Steve!

My VFTs that I grow outside always flower in May and again in late October. The October flowering is much less than in May. I think my climate on the cool foggy Pacific coast is the trigger. Both May and October are warm and sunny, while June through August is usually cool and foggy. I think the VFTs get fooled into thinking the sudden warm days in Fall are the beginning of Spring. My VFTs in the greenhouse tend to not flower in the Fall.

You guys are TOO funny! One would think that the photperiod thing would clue them in as to the time of year and their expectations. Egads, Steve, how are we supposed to give sound advice when your plants are making us D'Amato-quoting relative newbies look like fools?
smile_m_32.gif
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 08 2004,2:47)]One would think that the photperiod thing would clue them in as to the time of year and their expectations.
Flower triggering is probably more complex than we might think and would make a interesting Science Fair project (given a year or two to conduct the experiment). I suspect that on this foggy coast, a warm sunny Spring, then cool foggy dim Summer, followed by a warm sunny Fall may "confuse" the plants. Summer around here certainly feels like Winter, with coats and sweaters being the normal daytime Summer attire.

I realize that temperature changes can fool plants, at least temporarily. I have seen my crocus poke through the ground in January and as eartly as decmber, during a warm spell. Then reality set in and they didn't progress (or) die until February.

Lol. Whats next vfts eating rats? Congrats! Very strange,are you going to chop off the stalks or leave them be?

I always thought it amusing to read Tamlin & P-Man and their contrasting (and equally successful) appoaches to the same plants. But now I think Bugweed should be added to this (over a century or experience) troika.
smile_n_32.gif

Back