What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this look like a true jaumavensis flower?

I have been waiting forever to catch a flower of these. I have either been out of town or missed them because they are small.
I need a positive ID because I have heard there is some confusion on these and another ping. I am really bad at ID's on flowers.
It looks like the La Melara' form found here,
http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pinguicula_jaumavensis.htm
PICS bad quality, I just snapped them for ID.

jaumavensis.jpg

jaumavensis2.jpg

jaumavensis3.jpg

Thanks,
Zero

P. jaumavensis is most similar to P. esseriana in cultivation. Similar plants are P. debbertiana and P. ehlersiae.

I do not know the defining differences but I think P. esseriana never has the dark striations on the petals whereas P. jaumavensis does. P. esseriana also has more white at the base of each petal. That is what we see with clones in cultivation, anyway.

I would say yours is more likely to be P. jaumavensis than P. esseriana but I don't know what they look like hybridized and I have certainly not seen every clone of each.

The 'form' names that you see against some photos are not often part of the accepted naming. More often, with Mexican Pings, they are simply the name of the place where that particular photo of a Ping was taken. Therefore, don't bother to assign specific form names to your plants (unless it is very obvious and makes sense with where you sourced the plant) if they are not already labeled as there is so much variability dependent on a number of growing conditions.

Can you post a picture of the plant? Admittedly, P. jaumviensis is going to look almost identical to P. esseriana, but it might be helpful.

Here's what I have as P. jaumviensis:

Picture075.jpg

This is P. ehleresiae:

Picture045.jpg

Picture023.jpg
P. esseiana

Picture001-10.jpg
P. florian, which has P. debbertiana in it

that flower is identical to my esseriana flowers that i had...but with dark striations, that is indeed a jaumavensis flower...atleast in my eyes ;)

here is an older photo of an esseriana flower, notice that there is no dark lines of any kind...
DSC02705.jpg

Thanks for the replies.
here are some pics of jaumavensis plus another of the flower.
They are in succulent winter stage right now.
PICS

jaumav1.jpg

jaumav3.jpg

old pic of summer stage

jamauvensis.jpg

flower

jaumav2.jpg

peace,
Zero

Oh they are pretty! I want one now!

Back