What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does this look like a good light for a 55g tank?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
Jimmy, the floor is yours.... :D

Hi,
The light fixture looks pretty good, but it depends on your setup and what kind of plants you are planning on growing, and how much cash you have to spend.

First off, there are a lot of posts and info on the forum to give you a wealth of information about lighting. If you haven't done so already, READ THEM!
(Not referring to you specifically at this time, but it is amazing how people don't bother to read the information on this forum, and keep asking the same questions over and over. Some bright and informed people took a lot of time to post some great information, but it is often overlooked as people don't want to bother to look around and do a little research.)

Now , back to your situation specifically....
the fixture you are looking at seems pretty good, however you could go with a 4 lamp fixture if you have the money. Also, as I said it depends on what you are planning on growing. Some Neps will grow big enough to reach up towards the lamps, but a bunch of sundew sitting at the bottom of the tank will be a foot or more away from the lamps. In that case, you will be losing a lot of light!
Light radiates from from the lamps, and it is important to make use of as much light as we can.
See my diagram I made to illustrate, how the angle of radiance is wasted when we place our plants further away from the lamps/light source:

Larger distance:
PlantLights-7.jpg

Shorter Distance makes use of more of the angle of radiance:
PlantLights-1.jpg

One last thing, remember that the more light, the more energy from the lamp,
and that part of that energy is going to be in the form of heat!
You don't want to cook your plants! :eek:

Good Luck!
Paul

other than the reflector being flat and not wrapped around each bulb, i was very surprized to get mine and find the reflector was mirrored, and in my set up it is much better then the 4 bulb i got of the same product , the 4 is nice but i cant get the shelf far enough away so im going to have to sacrifice a shelf above ,
The t-5 your looking at is the one ill go with in the future for any thing under 15" and the four bulb will be for any thing above that, My heli's are all growing at two times the rate since the two t-5 went in and it is just 6 " above and out side the terrarium top so tha heat is no issue, i am currently trying to work in more fans for the 4 bulb.
Buy it zero you'll love it , i may replace the four bulb with this same fixture.
This heli is just under the t-5 and had done most of its new growing since iv had the two bulb in place 6-8weeks now.
IMG_1416.jpg

Sorry i just love to show it off , and im sure its due to the t-5 two bulb, this is a better price than mine, i think mine was 70.00 ??

I wonder why it's a private auction and they say it ships in a discreet, plain brown box? :angel:

GrowinOld,
I have done research into lighting but just wanted reassurance that this will work.
Thanks,
Zero

yep no markings except on the mailing info and packed to take a nuclear hit they are great to deal with i got the wrong bulbe so the sent me two in the right spectrum no charge . so i ended up with two bloom and two grow

Back