What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anybody else have p. pumila?

I recently acquired three (presumably genetically distinct) P. pumila plants. As I understand it, it's an annual, and comes back each year from seed.

I've never had any luck pollinating P. primuliflora by hand, but then again, it propagates by plantlets so easily that perhaps seed is not so important. I suspect annuals that depend on seed are easier to pollinate.

Any suggestions on how best to do this?

I could easily be wrong, but most things I have read about this species state that it is sometimes self-pollinating.  Perhaps you could gently jiggle a toothpick in and out of the open bloom in order to ensure good seed set?

I have a pot of Pinguicula lusitanica that is about ready to flower so I hope to do a little experimentation myself.

Corey

Are you sure about the annual part?
If they are an annual, then they die out in the Summer, as I was recently in Big thicket Nat Park and they are in flower there(at least they were a couple of weeks ago). I saw one about three inches in diameter!

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ April 11 2005,1:34)]Are you sure about the annual part?
  If they are an annual, then they die out in the Summer, as I was recently in Big thicket Nat Park and they are in flower there(at least they were a couple of weeks ago). I saw one about three inches in diameter!

Cheers,

Joe
Three inches?

I was there with Mike last weekend, and they were still flowering, and i didn't see any bigger than about 1" diameter, maybe a little less.

Bob, thanks for providing the site. I recently sowed seeds, received from Treagum, so ya may want to PM him about them.

Hey just saw this. I grow mine outside. They live 1-2 years. They must be pollinated (If you chop off flowers it will keep sending them up). Once they decide to flower you can get white, light blue and blue flowers all on the same plant at the same time (Which I heard from Barry is common). I usaually let them self seed. If the plants are outside or if it's not too cold (above freezing) move the plants outside in a sunny location. Like the supposed "Sunflowers" most SE USA Pings will have their flowers follow the sun. Putting them in a sunny loaction will make small flys come and hopefully polinate them for you.

Treaqum how do you get yours to live for a year or more. Mine die out after just a few months. I have been fortunate to have had them come back from seed a couple of times. I started growing them last year. It seems like after they produce a few good seed pods they start shriveling up and dying.

How do you grow them? Medium, watering, light, etc.? Would really like to know. Thanks.

Back