What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you cut the blooms like you would a flytrap?

hi. i would like some help. i started a bogg pond last year and, with the info i got from you guys and this site, i'm happy to say everything is coming back in full force this year. i know on my venus fly traps that i'm to cut the blooms off, but i didn't know what to do about the pitcher plants. i have numerous blooms, most starting to open now, and it occurred to me that maybe i should be cutting them, as i don't need the seeds. i think they look really neat, but i don't want to leave them if they're taking away from the plant. if i can figure out how to post pictures, i'm going to post some and, if there are any suggestions, please let me know, as this is my first time coming out of winter. i had them up all last summer, but there again this is their first time coming out of winter.

Hello and welcome!

No, you don't have to cut the flowers off. Unlike VFT flowers, Pitcher Plant flowers don't drain that much energy from the plant. So, you can enjoy the flowers!
smile.gif

Once they start to die off and the petals drop off you can cut them off. I just enjoy them and don't worry about seed...I found it takes away from the plant making seed and the year after it is generally small....that is what happened to one of my largest purpurea's at least.

Back