What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Sarracenia require dormancy?

lance

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder
Morning everyone
It has been very cold this summer in California and tempatures are just starting to heat up.
This has pushed back the blooming sarracenia season several months.:-(
My Leucophylla, which flowers in mid march just put up a shoot in mid july.
The other sarrs still haven't flowered, and it might be some time before they do.
So I was wondering would it be ok to keep them out of dormancy this winter to allow them to flower???? If so, then I can make that hybrid I have been planning for some time.

Lance

Do Sarracenia require dormancy?
yes

It has been very cold this summer in California and tempatures are just starting to heat up.
define "very cold"

So I was wondering would it be ok to keep them out of dormancy this winter to allow them to flower.

I wouldnt..but what do you do for dormancy normally?
and how would you 'keep them out of dormancy" this year?

Scot

It just started to get above 80 degrees this month.

For dormancy I leave them outside in the winter.

To keep them out of dormancy I would put them in my nepenthes greenhouse.

Ideally Sarracenia need a full winters rest. Having said that, a full winter in say, Alabama or Florida isn't anywhere as long as we have in the rest of the country. Leaving the plants in the greenhouse for a few months will not harm them. However, they do need some kind of dormancy. So I would at least let them go dormant for 3 months at a minimum. January, February, and March should do fine. My plants start going dormant in mid October here and don't start coming out until May. Sarracenia are very winter/cold hardy, but that does not mean that they need it.

It has been confirmed that the dormancy requirements for Sarracenia are not as strict as the requirements for VFTs, this likely has to do with the fact that the range for most Sarracenia species is further south than the range for VFTs - with the exception of S. purpurea and S. flava (maybe other species too, but I'm not completely sure about that.)

That being said, dormancy is always the best choice if you want the healthiest plants. 3 months is long enough for dormancy.

below 80 isnt warm enough?
thats my ideal summer! ;)

I doubt a "cool" summer..days in the 70's, will have much of an impact..
I wouldnt change anything this year..just leave them outside all year as you always do..
I see no benefit to bringing them in the greenhouse, and potential drawbacks..because they are still "going dormant" right now..keeping them warmer longer isnt what they expect..they "want" to go dormant, and are preparing for it even now..changing the climate will only throw off their schedule.

I would just leave them alone..they are better off keeping them outdoors.

Scot

Back