What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do plant release CO2?

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date

upper

Capensis Killer
YES or NO?

YES.

I'm assuming that you don't want an explanation, just a definite answer.

Yes.

Um, do you just want an answer, or an explanation?

yes, because they also take apart the sugar they make for enegry like animals do.

Well I know that if they are in stress, like serious heat waves.... they will emit CO2 and keep the oxygen.

explaination would be good, yesterday on the chatbox, SK said no, so i wanted everybody's opinion.

If i remember correctly it's called the respiration process and it takes place especialy during the night time.

edit:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plant respiration is the oxidation of certain substrates by enzymes, leading to a release of carbon dioxide. It can be loosely thought of as the opposite of photosynthesis, though the net release of carbon dioxide in respiration is less than carbon uptake in photosynthesis. Sources of glucose for respiration for plants are starch or directly from photosynthesis.

Respiration is an essential life process in plants. It is necessary for the synthesis of essential metabolites including carbohydrates, amino acids and fatty acids, as well as for the transport of minerals and other solutes between cells. It consumes between 25 and 75% of all the carbohydrates produced in photosynthesis at ordinary growth rates.

If i remember correctly it's called the respiration process and it takes place especialy during the night time.

Almost word for word what I was going to write.... until I saw your post.

Ecologically speaking, a plant releases as much CO2 as O2 over the long haul, unless some of its organic matter ends up in rock. If the long haul is even longer, even that can be released.

Opinions don't really matter when it's a fact! lol.

Maybe in them oppressed parts of the world! But we live in the good ol' U-S-of-A, free from the tyranny of evidence and its ilk. ;)

well i didnt think they really did, the way you were saying it, you were saying it was such a high amount of CO2 that it could make you sick, thats why your mom said she didnt think you should have your plants in your room because they release gasses at night...i was like, wtf untrue, now, i dont doubt they release a small amount of CO2, but not large enough to make you sick. and future references, keep my name out of the topic please?

sorry, my bad. anybody know how much CO2 they would release at night?

The net transfer of gases is such that CO2 is taken in by the plant, and oxygen (O2) is released. So it takes in more CO2 than it releases, as is true for any healthy photosynthetic plant, and releases more oxygen (O2) than it uses. Keeping plants in the room is actually healthy!

Does that genius AlGore know about all this??

He'll be trying to ban vegetation for emitting far too much CO².

:p

Back