What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DJ's Bog Garden photos

This page is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this page.

yep.. it's official. I want it.. Can you just ship the entire bog here please?

That is a very nice set up. Great looking bog. Can I ask how deep is it and do you have holes to handle any water overflow?

Yeah, um, you will be first on the list if I ever get tired of it, LOL

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

yep.. it's official. I want it.. Can you just ship the entire bog here please?

Yeah, um, you'll be the first on the list if I ever get tired of it, :-D

I call second
Can you point out where d regia is?

Amazing bog!

Holy crap that's an awesome bog!

you know what? i've been a city boy my whole life. i spent a few years living in the suburbs but really didn't like it at all.

there is ONE thing that is making me change my whole take on suburban living: you folks with your damn bog gardens!!! these things are gorgeous and i would love to be able to build one for myself someday.

great job on that one, seriously. can't wait to see the updates as those sarrs fill out.

Very nice lookin!

I'd love to be able to put together one of these some day. I'm curious, what, if anything, are you doing for drainage??

That's amazing! Wowzers- jealous that you have the space for that >_> :drool:

What size is it and what are you doing for drainage?

Beautiful, healthy plants you got there! Nice job! :)

you have a great bog garden, how long have you had it, how many different genus do you have in it

That is a very nice set up. Great looking bog. Can I ask how deep is it and do you have holes to handle any water overflow?

Thank you.

It is 18" on the two separate sides and 20" for the whole back part. It is slightly sloped to one corner in the back with a few holes in the bottom on that corner only and a hole/PVC pipe near the top for overflow drainage. The mistake I made with the old bog was no slope, too many holes in the bottom, and only 12" deep. It dried out too fast in summer and flooded in winter (hard clay soil where I live).

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

I call second
Can you point out where d regia is?

It is just behind the second red flytrap. It was very small when I got it last year, perhaps a 1st-year seedling? It was in the old bog last year and now in the new bog. Here are a couple of close-ups of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/sets/72157627809074379/

Wow its such a pretty color

Very nice lookin!

I'd love to be able to put together one of these some day. I'm curious, what, if anything, are you doing for drainage??

Gotta have drainage. It slopes to the back end and has some holes in the bottom on that end with a PVC pipe in the side near the top for overflow. It stays wet with top watering a couple times a week in summer and I fill it up to overflow every other week or so depending on weather in summer. In winter, it will take care of itself because we get a lot of rain here. It rained for almost 2 weeks staight right after we built it and never "floated" like the old bog did, although it is quite a bit deeper than the old one. I waited to plant it until I was sure about the drainage because I lost a cupped flytrap in the old bog because it was too wet.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Wow its such a pretty color

Yeah, way different than what I see in greenhouses, surprised me. I think it is because it gets full sun most of the day, but wondering if it might be happier with less full sun because it really did not start growing good until about a month ago with cooler weather, really took off then. I think I will plant something tall next to it to shade it a little from the hot afternoon sun next summer...afraid to move it because it has done so well and I hear they hate to be disturbed. I do wonder if it will ever get as big as the ones I see grown in greenhouses because it has to start over every year with dying completely back in winter?? I don't know how fast they grow normally.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

you have a great bog garden, how long have you had it, how many different genus do you have in it

Thank you.

I just put it in at the beginning of this year, had another much smaller one that got a little over-crowded. See my grow list for what is in there.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Thank you! Pots take up too much room, LOL

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

What size is it and what are you doing for drainage?

I is roughly 8 feet x 10 feet, 18" to 20" deep, slopes and drains to one corner in the back with holes in the bottom there and a PVC pipe near the top for overflow. Top watering moves top buildup of garbage to that back corner and out, deep watering through PVC pipes moves water through soil and to that corner. I suspect I will have to change out the soil every 4 or 5 years or so? since it is so deep; 3 years is how long the soil lasted in the old shallow bog before starting to get funky, but shallow, no sand, more peat, and less perlite than what is in the new bog.

Back