What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diy desk / modeling bench

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cut
Hey folks,

Keeping my idle hands busy I thought I'd put this DIY project together for anyone needing a new PC desk or sculpting/modeling workbench:

The stuff you'll need:

bench2.jpg

(2) 48" L x 24" W melamine board
(2) 29" L x 24" W melamine board (cut 2 more 48" to this length)
(4) corner brackets
5/8" screws (for the brackets)
2" screws (for reinforcing and placing the top -not shown oops)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
placing the brackets on each of the 4 corners of one 48" x 24" piece (this is the back piece) use the 5/8" screws
bench3.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attach the (29" H x 24" W) sides to the brackets making sure the top of the back brace is level with the top of the sides. the gap at the bottom will assist in running a power strip under the desk. you can reinforce the sides by adding one or two 2" screws between the brackets.
bench4.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Placing the top 48" x 24" piece just use 4 or 5, 2" screws
bench5.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now your desk can be filled with stuff!
smile.gif

bench7.jpg

I had bought a nice new chair to go with my new desk but someone stole it...
bench8.jpg

Here's that new sculpt in progress with a few turn around shots:

serpent1.jpg

serpent2.jpg

serpent3.jpg

serpent4.jpg

Nice pics, as always, Swords. If only I needed another desk... I don't suppose you know how to whip up one of those comfy tempurpedic matresses.
Is that the Fresh Prince on your TV?
~Joe

Ha! No, I can't stand Will Smith!
smile_n_32.gif

Actually it's the Queens of Comedy show that was on Comedy Central earlier tonight... maybe it was Chris Rock.

Going from grooving on classic english grind/crust core (Axegrinder and Prophecy of Doom) to diva comedy! U gotta love life!
biggrin.gif

hey, I don't know if you know this or not... but that dude your sculpting has a snake tail instead of legs... might want to fix that.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Feb. 19 2005,1:44)]hey, I don't know if you know this or not... but that dude your sculpting has a snake tail instead of legs... might want to fix that.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Really? I never noticed that!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
But I think he's supposed to be half zerg of sumptin... Or maybe headcrab

Be careful, I see a battle forming on your workbench between your Snakeman and Eddie. Could be messy.
smile_n_32.gif

Wow you must be psychic!

See that British Spitfire fighter plane back there? It's an in progress for a modeling mag article, first in a series of heavy metal oriented vehicle customs... "Aces High"!
biggrin.gif

So you making Eddie in the Spitfire?
That would be cool.

Oooh! Awesome!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually it's the Queens of Comedy show that was on Comedy Central earlier tonight... maybe it was Chris Rock.

Queens of Comedy. Apparently I was watching it at the exact same time you were. Chris Rock is on tonight at 10.

"Earlier tonight"?! Good Lord, man! What time did you post that, 2AM?

Funny how when you show us a picture, instead of paying attention to the main theme of the pic, we're freakishly inspecting everything in the background -_^ Ooo, look! It's a glimpse into another person's house! Must inspect!!!

I keep vampire hours since my real job is from 4 pm til 4 am (3 or 4 nights a week) so I don't usually turn in until 7 or 8 am!

The plane will be painted up like a battered warplane with some Iron Maiden oriented decoration. I'm hunting around for a 1/40th scale pilot to go in the cockpit. The hard part will be to not go bugeyed trying to sculpt a 1/40th scale zombie head and hands!

Wanna see something scary? Here's ,my "work area" before the new desk and storage rack:
bench1.jpg

run for your lives it's a junkslide!
biggrin.gif

here is a shot of my work desk:

desk.jpg

I just went to Home Depot and got a big slab of board,
and attached it at a 90degree angle to my computer desk..
making an angled desk..works great!
on the desk is my latest project under construction.
a live-steam G gauge locomotive.

rubystackcompare-stockstack2.jpg

more on the locomotive, if anyone is interested:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/ruby/rubyangel.html

Scot

Hey Scotty that's a sweet train! Is it scratchbuilt with styrene and brass or is it a working kit that moves and everything?

thanks Josh,
its going to be a working live-steam locomotive..
it is powered by fire and water.
real steam moves the pistons..just like a full-size steam loco.
its based on the Accucraft Ruby, a live steam kit.
here is what it looked like originally, before I started modifying it:

http://www.accucraft.com/AC77010.htm

parts of it are scratch built, other parts I bought.
its half and half.
Scot

Cool to see "kitbashing" is a common term for various modeling communities!
smile.gif

With that reference pic I can see the awesome amount of work you did-you should post that pic here so people can see how far you took it! Most of my modeling is figure based with the odd styrene kit buildup or whatever so that kinda actual fabricating stuff like that is foreign to me. It looks totally machined! I'd love to see any in progress pics you may have of the construction. How in the world do you cut your brass stock so clean? It's a thing of beauty for sure!

So there's an actual little water well and flame in there? That's wild, I thought mini trains were always electrical since my uncles was. What's the gauge in the scale key in reference to? Is that the gauge track it will fit on?

Hey Josh- Nice Work as always, got a real Harryhausen/Frazetta look to the snakeman especially

You might look into using a fantasy miniature for the Spit pilot, a lot of the "Heroic Scale" stuff is pretty much 1/48 in many respects (I think that kit is 1/48, not too many 1/40 scale kits available IIRC)
One thing ya might try- I have a whole mess of plastic skeletons from games workshop (I inherited them, a buddy who was into it got out and I ended up with my own techno skeleton army) You could start with a skeleton figure and just build it up a bit- even if you just used the head and arms crossed with a pilot...... either way, full scratch would likely drive ya even more buggy than you already are
biggrin.gif

Josh,
yep, it runs on real steam.
it has a small fuel tank that holds butane.
the butane is lit and makes a fire inside the boiler.
the flame heats the water and makes steam, and the steam pushes the pistons in the cylinders and makes the wheels turn!
the steam them exausts out the stack.
its really the same as a full-size locomotive!
except it burns butane while full-size locomotives burned coal or wood. (and a few burned oil)
here is the detailed "builders log" that shows every construction photo I have so far.

http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26072
(most of those photos are also on the webpage, btu not all of them)

the brass pilot was scratchbuilt from brass, by cutting, filing and soldering!

this is the second "live steamer" I have built..
the first one involved a lot more scratchbuilding!
she is here:
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/steam.html

steam_14.jpg

that one is actually a far more primitive machine.
she burns sterno to heat the water and make steam.
then one cylinders drives the chains to turn the wheels.

both engines are "G scale"
they run on 45mm gauge G-scale track.
The Ruby is 1/20.3 scale.
and the older one is really without an official scale, just because it is totally freelanced.
if I had to pick a scale it would be more like 1/24..

Scot

Wow the chains! I really dig that one - it almost looks like a DaVinci machine or something!
smile.gif
You wouldn't happen to have a GIF/mpeg of that one running would you?

Cool buildup! I'll read the whole thing tonight after work!

Thanks Mabudon, you nailed my goal! I want the details to be kind of soft like Franzetta without ripping off an actual Franzetta work. I made a latex skin texture stamp from a piece of aligator leather (fake stamped stuff) and it comes out really good when impressed on the flesh of this guy so I think it'll be a massive time saver on detailing. I'll have some new pics up by Thursday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Feb. 20 2005,12:19)]Wanna see something scary? Here's ,my "work area" before the new desk and storage rack:
bench1.jpg

run for your lives it's a junkslide!
biggrin.gif
MOTHER, HOLY MARY OF JESUS!! It looks EXACTLY like my best friend's house!!

Back