What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dividing p x weser

Hello,

My remaining Px weser has several small growth underneath the largest growth. How do I separate these? Is it advisable to repot the plant now when it's growing carnivorous leaves? Then again, I was told that in my tropical climate, the Pings never produce winter leaves, so when should be a good time to repot?

My previous Ping died, as suggested by members of this forum, because its high-% peat medium absorbed too much water and caused some kind of fungal attack. I'm keen to avoid this on my remaining Ping, and at the same time, split up the little growths.

Thanks.

bump

I wanna know how to also because I have a ping that is growing "little pings" on its leaves

ebeyonder:
It's up to you really. I have no problem repotting or splitting the ping up when it has carnivorous leaves.

I would suggest that you start separating the babies when they are about an inch or more.  Be very careful with their roots as they are very fragile and short.

P.sethos and weser are both clumping pings.  If you decide to leave the babies alone, you'll get this.
smile.gif

sethos_four_plants_rs.jpg

Thanks Cindy and that's a very beautiful Ping! What medium is it in? It seems to have lots of perlite!

Cindy,
How do you prevent algae from growing on the perlite?
Everytime I use perlite, I have to battle with brown and green algae growing on them.

I can't remember when I got this idea of growing but I think I did it to save a dying p.sethos (the now 4-plant ping you see). It's a recycled food container with about 2 inches of perlite. I put a layer of live sphagnum on top.  I felt that the roots rot easily in peat/sand mix and this set-up is more airy, yet the humidity is high enough.

If you look carefully, you'll see algae on the perlite.  I change the perlite once I see algae covering almost the whole bottom of the container.

First, I'll prepare a new container with about 2 inches of perlite.  Then I lift the whole plant up and into the new container.

The roots are not touching the perlite at all because they are growing on the moss. So no root is hurt. I suppose I could keep the set-up going longer if I used distilled water instead of tap water. The minerals in our tap water does play a part. That's why it's quite tasty to drink direct from the tap!
wink.gif

Thanks Cindy for your horticultural advise!

Back