What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

distilled water

hey every1 sorry to bring up this subject again. Where do you guys get distilled water? Bottled distilled water is now expensive because the strong light in my terrarium causes alot of evaporation so water gets used up fast
I was thinking of buying a cheap brita filter or an osim. Both will still have nutrients but the chlorine is removed, what do you think?

thx

Rainwater
Rainwater
and rainwater I collect each winter at least 1000 gl. of water so I can survive most of summer time then also aircundition water and RO system and I'm free of worry.
Arie

Hi Arie,

Do you use trashcans or something else to collect the water?

wezx,
You might have to get a water hardness meter to measure the water hardness that comes out from the tap. My view is that the Brita filter might not be of much help. Having said that, my Nepenthes can take water straight from the tap. Possibly because the water at my house is quite soft.

You have probably reach a stage where getting a RO unit or water distiller is cheaper than buying bottled distilled water. I have both a distiller and RO unit and sometimes, I have my hands full trying to get sufficient water for all the plants. There needs to be alot of planning to get sufficient water.

Try getting a RO unit or the Hyflux Dragonfly that makes water out of air!

I have 2 huge water tanks each 1500 ltr. plus some smaller ones each 150 ltr.
Arie

arie! You are one serious collector and grower! My hats off to you!
wow.gif

aircondition water? whats that?
i might get a filter with 0.1 micron. A RO/DI unit is TOO expensive! Also i've heard that RO/DI water tastes bad...
guqin: will tap water in an apartment near holland road be ok for neps? how do i test it out?

thanks!

guqin, where did you get your distiller and RO unit?
smile.gif
And how much?

The RO unit was bought by my dad, who decided that our water from the tap is too full of rust particles due to aging pipes.

I cannot remember which brand the distiller is, but it is not Redheart. Mine distils about one gallon of water per four hours.

when you use aircondition unit to cool the air and cold air can hold less water then hot air the extra water is getting out throw the unit and you get disttiled water/
Arie

Back