What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Direct...

How many hours do you give your nep of direct sunlight? Indirect sunlight? Artificial LIght.? Light in genreal?

I dont have a nep, but I was just wondering because Im planning to get one.

Post what you do.
smile.gif

The vast bulk of my neps are under fluorescent lights for about 13 hours a day. I have a couple outside that get about 4 hours of direct sunlight per day. For fluorescents I use four four-foot tubes, or a couple or three "fluorex" compact fluorescent lights.

Capslock

In the summer mine get bright inderect sunlight. In the winter since the sun is lower and I grow mine in front of a sliding glass door they get direct sunlight most the day. The sun is weaker in the winter time.

I use a compact flourescent called Regent. It is the same as Flourex except brand name. I use mine 24 hrs a day.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Joe

VTP,

Mine are in a glasshouse which gets about 6 hours of direct sun in winter and over 10-11 hours of direct sun in summer.

In terms of reducing the direct light, in summer I use 50% green shade cloth and winter a lining of bubble wrap.  

The buble wrap is more for heat insulation but it does difuse the direct sun which can be quite strong even in winter.

Aaron.

More specifically~how about your Nepenthes ventricosa
Thanks in advance

VTP,

ALL my plants are in the same glasshouse so conditions are as noted above for my 4x N. ventricosa's (2x geen, red & inbetween) and 2x N. vent. hybrids (v x maxima & v x rafflesiana).

In these conditions (note that it is almost winter here) I generally get a new picther every 3 weeks and there is generally 3-5 new pitchers forming per plant at a time.

Aaron.

Ventricosa is a great beginners choice. It is a sturdy plant, which happens to have quite unique pitchers and it stays also very compact for a while, which is good when you grow it in limited space.
I have a bunch of small ventricosas outdoors in the Philippine lowlands. The ones standing on the upper (=sunniest) board of the shelf look best. The pitchers are bigger and more colorful.
They get extreme tropical sun from 11am - 3pm, only shaded occasionally by some passionfruit leafs. Even the indirect light should be quite strong, I wouldn't survive that location
smile.gif

Some ventricosaXalata growing close by, are not pitchering as reliably as the ventricosas, even though as hybrids they should supposedly (!) grow better.
In temperate climate I used to grow them in an aquarium in a south facing window (no artificial light) very successfully.
Good luck, Volker

my plants are under 240 watss of NO flourescent lights and 150 watts of MH. the MH is on for 10 hours a day and the NO's are on for 12 hours a day....

interesting, leucophylla... IME, I get bigger pitchers with less light (leaves get full sun, develiping pitchers are in shade)

I have mine outdoors where they get very bright light all day,with a little sun in the late afternoon.The new pitchers on my neps are getting a little smaller but they are alot tougher looking\feeling then before.

Here you go.  I forgot I had uploaded these 2 shots and they give you and idea of how bright the glasshouse gets with only a bubblewrap lining.  It's enough to take the 'punch' out of the winter sun (need 50% shade cloth in summer) yet still lets most light through, as you can see.

Green N. ventricosa:
mypic49.JPG

Green/red N. ventricosa:
mypic50.JPG

Aaron.

Nice neps Aaron! I hope my neps get that big:)

Back