What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Direct tv (satelite tv)

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Ok, I am thinking about getting Direct TV (Satelite TV) and am wondering what experience people have with it. Do you like or dislike and for what reason? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I have COX in my area and am sick of bending over
smile_m_32.gif
just to get a few channels of TV worth watching. I don't care about movies or sport channels, I just would be getting the package that has all the Discovery channels and other information channels as well as kids channels. Please be descriptive about who, what, when, where, why, and how.

Joe

So far, I really like it. It is easy to use, except it takes a LONG time to remember channels because they are random. For example- Mtv is on 500 and discovery is on 202... Also, it costs extra for local channels, and that is only a few. Not the local networks and stuff. I give Direct Tv a 8.5 out of 10.

I like it too. Get the version with the Tivo built into it. Gotta have Tivo. With the two of them, you get a great picture and a great interface to control it with.

Capslock

Yeah Direct TV is good. And the channels vary. My MTV is 331. The only thing bad is that it goes out when it rains and or storms. I think it's better than cable. Cable is just way to expensive.

I use to have Dishnetwork. I loved it. The only time I lost reception was when we had big storms. Regular rain didn't effect the reception. The better line of site you have the better it will hold reception during a storm.
When I moved I brought my dish with me. I tried to set it up but my neighbors trees blocked the signal. So I had to go to cable. Adelphia gives you great deals to sign up to them. Then they jack up your rates. They charge around $50 for basic cable. So everytime the sign up rate changes, I "move". Right now I have the introductory rate of $24.00 for digital cable with alot of movie channels. That's price is good for a year.
The commercials that the cable company runs about satellite is over exaggerated. Don't believe them.

We used to have dishnetwork as well and loved it.

I've got a Dishnetwork dish, and I love it
smile.gif
Since cable prices kept getting jacked up more and more, it became cheaper for us to go dish. Works for me: more channels, less money being forked over. Only annoyance can be, yes, the local channels. But, I have seen good deals on local packages before... Another thing, my reception has only gone during el niño storms, so it has survived earthquakes, heavy rain, coastal environmental effects, and yes, the dog sneezing. Really, IME, quality is better with dishes anyway, lol, so, atleast for us, it's a win-win situation.

all i know is cabels cheaper in the uk and better than sky which is direct tv other here sky just dosent work that well

The best part is that you can hack it and get all the channels for FREE!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

What?
confused.gif

No, I don't hack it

cable is much better, if your in new york, DTV (digital television) is great, more channels than you can count, local channels included and reception is great.
biggrin.gif

Back