What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dino's not nice :o(

You could always buy a pair of thin tight fitting gloves, they tend to calm you a bit by offering some buffer betwen you and the fangs of the ferocious Dino.

Reminds me of my aunt tring to hand train one of our African Grey parrots. Her hands all bloody from being bit so often and the bird just exusted from all the biting and steppng from hand to hand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Aug. 11 2005,8:46)]Oh my, my heart did a little flip flop when I saw the title of this thread.
Smae here, when I saw it I was like: What have I done?

Oh Starman I'm sorry,I bet I scared the crap out of you,lol.Sorry about that
smile_h_32.gif
I know chameleons are not to be handled a lot and are not the cuddling type,and I actually don't want to cuddle with her,lol,I just want to be able to pick her up and watch her.When I first got her,I was able to do this all the time.She just turned really snobby the day I put her in her new home.Maybe she doesn't like it?? I will definetly try the gloves,my mom is a nurse so she has lots of thin latex gloves around.Thanks for all the great advice,I'll let you know if I've lost a figer or two
smile_m_32.gif
~Niki~

Hi Nicky,
In this magazine I sometimes read there is a psychic who people write in to, and sometimes theres questions like: Why wont my dog sleep in his new dog bed? or something, and the person sends the question and a short explanation in with a photo
Then the anwser ot that sort of question is usually something is missing in the new home/bed, for example a nice soft pillow that is no longer present in the dogs new bed
Then the people write in again and say that the psychic was right and that they found what was missing in the new bed.home and the pet is liking it again.....strange but true
So find out what you didnt include in the new home, maybe it was her favorioute tree branch she was always on? Or maybe you changed the lights she used to love going under?

Wow cool Starman.This is just a guess but I think I know what the problem is.Well first of all I'm using everything in her new home that I used in her tank.But what I think happened is that it's not warm enough for her.See in her tank there wasn't much air circulation due to the glass so it was nice and warm for her,but now that her new home is made of mesh plus it's 5 gallons bigger,I don't think she's warm enough.There's more air circulation and it's letting more of the warmth out.What do you guys think of my theory?I'm prepared to get a heat bulb for her,but I want your comments first.I've got a 75W bulb now,but if I'm right I'm going to get a 100W one.
smile.gif
~Niki~

I think you may be right Nicky, after all chameleons are cold blooded and their blood stays the temperature of the temperature in their tank, and the cold their blood is the less active they are

Could also try one of those heat rocks.

I heard that heat rocka are very bad for chams,since they can burn so easily.~Niki~

consider the humidity also. i have never had a cham. but i have read that they are sensitive to humidity. a mesh cage with much more air flow is going to allow the humidity to fall much fast and also allow more fluction (which i cant spell). These changes in temp and humidity may be bothering your cham. and this could be the cause of its "moodyness".

Yay, more about Dino. I love chams!

All Veileds are considered 'aggressive'. They will hit a time in life were they just don't want nothing to do with you anymore and turn mean. It's just their nature. Main would come out to me and climb on me and everything, then one day when he was probably around 8months old that gapping mouth came at me and I knew my baby was all grown up. *lol* He still does it. And I can only get him out when he wants to, which is about once a month and I clean up his cage at the time.

As for the heat. What's the temp? I have only a 60Watt Heat blub and he's fine.

I'm guessing maybe she's getting that cham aggression. The new cage, I bet she loves it. If she hated it, she'd want out. Maybe she finally has 'her' place now and feels like kingcola and wants to turn territoral and such.

I honestly don't know what the humidity is,but that's a good point you made ktulu.When she was in her tank the temp was between 93-95.I don't have a thermometor in her new home cause the one I had before in her tank was a stick on one,and it only sticks to glass,so I need to go out and buy one.I need to get her crickets tomorrow anyways so I'll buy one at that time.Darn thing goes through 20 crickets a DAY and she's only 2 and a half months old!She's a little PIGGY if you ask me
smile_n_32.gif
 I know Veileds are the most aggressive of all Chams,but like I said she's less than 3 months old.I didn't think she would become aggressive this fast
smile_h_32.gif
 Oh well,I still love her.I tried to get out her this evening,and I succeeded but only because I stuck a stick infront of her and she climbed onto that,after she attacked it twice,and then she came onto my hand.I was thinking that I should still try to pick her up but it obviously REALLY stresses her out,and I know how sensative they are to stress,so I don't want to kill her!What should I do?Tink,how large is Main's home,since you only use a 60W bulb
smile.gif
 ~Niki~

My ball python got me a while ago, she thought I was a mouse.:(

I would invest in a Big pair of protective gloves. somthing that she could grip onto well.
Hopefully she will see that she cant hurt you with the gloves on, and stop trying.

good luck!

-tyrel-

Oh wow,your python bit you?!? That must have hurt!And here I am complaining about a tiny chameleon
smile_n_32.gif
 Thanks for the advice tyrel.And WELCOME to the forum!
smile.gif
~Niki~
smile.gif

actually, it didn't hurt at all! it only hurt when i rubbed alcohol on it.
My jaw locked up the next morning and my dad thought it was tetnus! (it wasent.):p

Yikes!
confused.gif
~Niki~

Probably adjusting to a new environment. If she's been moved more than once this year than that may likely be it.
I would advise against gloves, you want her to know YOU, it's not as if she is a danger to you.

Joe

do the bites hurt? or break the skin?

It's been my experience the bites have little more than shock value to them but it can be more than enough to startle you and then you drop the poor little critter.

What we need is a movie of this cham zapping up crickets.
smile.gif

Good luck getting her used to you.

Back