What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Cameras

• Thread starter brisco225
  • Start date
I have been trying to figure out what camera to purchase to take pics of my plants. I was thinking of the Fujifilm FinePix 3800, since it has a 6x zoom. Anyone have any preferences?

Hey there.  For Christmas I'm asking for a Kodak EasyShare digital camera. I really hope i get so i can post pictures here more easily.  Before i've had to take film pictures, get them possessed and then scan them into my computer.  It's kind of a hassle so i don't do it very often.

I can't really suggest any digital cameras for you since i've never owned one.  But if you go on amazon.com and find the listing for that camera you can read the reviews that other purchaser have written.  Just a suggestion.
smile.gif

-buckeye

I have a Canon Powershot G2. Pretty good camera 4.0 megapixels.

I use a Canon G5. The G series powershot camera are great if you really want excellent optics in a point and click camera. If you have a bit more to spend I would recommend the Canon 10-D or the Sigma SD10.

joe

It depends on your budget.  I received a Kodak DX3600 last year for Christmas.  It was a discontinued model about then, and therefore pretty inexpensive, but Consumer Reports did a roundup review and found it actually took better photos than the successor, even with less "Megapixels" (a rather irrelevant measure of camera performance, especially today).

I've been happy with the camera (to get an idea what kind of pics it takes, see the photos in the NECPS photo album, most of those were taken with said camera), and it was inexpensive.  Now i've had some experience and time to come up with a list of wants and "don't wants" when i get a 'serious' camera....

Moral of the story is: read subjective (but hopefully unbiased) reviews that involve several different cameras, and/or better, try out the camera you want yourself, to see if you are satisfied that it can do what you want it to.

Hey, I have the same camera as eplants02! I love it, but it's too big. When I travel, I wish I had a smaller camera that would fit in my pocket, and there are some out there that are pretty good. One thing good about the Powershot G2 by Cannon is that the battery lasts forever!

Capslock

Some of the best models out on the market are Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Sony, Kodax, Hewlett Packard, Canon, etc. Just shop around. Zoom really isn't a must have for CP picture taking. What you would want is a Macro lens or Macro feature. If your camera has a macro feature, I place a magnifying glass in front of it to enhance the sharpness and focus of the object in view. I have an Olympus D-380 2.0 Megapixels. Quick fine focusing capabilities and a decent to average macro feature, which I enhance with a magnifying glass.

Hi! I have a finepix s5000 anf it works well. / Tomas

I have a Sony 707. Takes great macro shots, since that's what I usually shoot it drew me to this camera.
My nature shots:
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/photo.html

There's a link there to a great site with reviews of digital camera's

Hi Brisco

Have a look at this site for camera reviews, I found it extremely helpful when I was buying mine.

Steve's Camera Reviews

I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix5700 via the internet for about US$700 from some place in New York. I am very happy with it, the macro capabilities are excellent, however it is a bit on the expensive side.

Personally I have an aversion to Canon products but I must admit that Tim, the bee guy, has posted some great pics that he takes with his G3 and that and the Fujifinepix S7000 have similar specs to the Coolpix5700 and so they were the other two that I looked at when considering getting one. If you want big, high res pics (at max resolution the pics from my Coolpix are TIF format and 14MB each!) but don't want to pay for a full on SLR the one of the one's that I mention above would be ideal.

Cheers, Troy.

From my research for a future camera, I want a Nikon Coolpix 5000/5700. I love my Olympus...its been a good camera but I need something a little better. The Nikon has great macro ability as well as other good features. Its gotten good reviews.

Olympus C-750 + macro lens

I've got C-730 and the macro lens. Allows me to go REAL close to the plants...image is sharp with your drosera dew drops just 2mm away... ;) 2mm because you wouldn't want them to stick to the lens!!
laugh.gif

I love my Sony F-717. I can attach close-up filters to take close-ups of bugs/plants from far away. That way I'm not so close that I block out all the great natural sunlight. I've also used the Nikon5700, although very nice (better picture quality than the sony), its not as easy to use as the Sony. I love Canon, their picture quality is just fantastic, barely any digital noise even at ISO 400. I'm thinking of getting the Canon Digital Rebel, but just thinking. Still waiting for prices to drop on that one
wink.gif

I'm looking to upgrade to the Canon EOS Digital Rebel... whatever will I do with my Nikon Coolpix 4500? Hmmm...
smile.gif

Edit: For a sample of pictures...

Dyflam's sample pics

You may have seen some of these before.
wink.gif

PAK,

I am there with you on the coolpix 5000 or greater... unfortunately the budget is not there for such a monster... I mean.. heck... if the budget was there, I would be fiddling with a Nikon D series (interchangeable SLR lenses) as we speak... but alas...

for the budget minded, I think the Coolpix 3100 is a great camera, the 4300 is a newer package, but I don't think it is enough bang for the buck to run up the price difference.

Oh, and may I add, I have never been sorry buying NEW IN BOX electronics off E-bay, and I have traditionally found incredible deals there.

Yes, you can get great deals on eBay...you just have to watch for refurbs, open boxes and grey market. Most dealers will tell you if you ask about those things (if not clearly stated). I go for "NIB"...new in box. They will carry the manufacturer's warranty the same as if you bought it from a store. Some sellers even offer several years of warranty with the cameras.

Sometimes the sellers will post the phone numbers for their discount businesses on their listing page and you can contact them direct. I bought my Olympus from an eBay seller direct...saved about $200 on the price of the camera.

I agree, NIB is the way to go, though, I will admit that I am watching a couple of coolpix cameras that are factory re-furbs... I almost feel cameras are advancing like computers are advancing... so much cool new tech every year... so they are almost disposable.

I have a friend that buys a new one every year, and his friends buy his rejects... problem is even his one year olds which are in great condition, are now far beyond my price range, as he is working with really nice cannon, nikon, and minolta reflex cameras (interchangeable lenses and the whole shebang.)

I use a Nikon Coolpix 4300. I really enjoy using the camera and I get very nice 8x10 prints, both from my printer and from finishers. I can go up to 11x17 but there are not alot of inexpensive options for that size here and my printer won't go that high.

The only thing that I wish the camera had is an option for slave flash. I haven't really needed it, but I it would come in handy when using lenses and adpaters.

I also got mine NIB off ebay. Got a bunch of accesories included with the package. I'm really cheap, so it took a month of bidding and losing to finally win an auction at the price I was willing to pay
wink.gif

Back