What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digesting

How long does it take s. Purpurea to digest bugs? As in my previous topic with the fly getting eaten (hehehe) the fly has disappeared! That was in 2 days, so i'm not sure if it escaped or had been digested.
Please help!
biggrin.gif

Insects are not fully eaten by the pitcher plants. The carcass is always left behind and you can't tell if it's been fully absorbed or not. What is broken down goes into the water and is slowly absorbed by the plant.

When I had my plants in a terrarium with water below a grate to provide humidity, a spider escaped one of my plants and fell in the water... The "Purp Principle" took over, and bacteria digested it. Now all that is left is a completely empty spider shell, its see thru. I think that is what happens inside a purp too. The tips of the legs got kinda moldy, then the mold engulfed the whole spider, when it went away, it was empty, and just the chitin was left!

Back