What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

different species light requirement

Hello folks

ok i just receive 6 different species of drosera. and i also have my t-form binata growing fullsun receive about 6 hours of direct sunlight, its perfectly health so i bought some new specimen of binata about to growing them in fullsun. and i want to kno what kind of light condition should i provide to these specimen

binata: fullsun lol i kno this one

capensis:

intermedia:

filiformis:

graminifolia:

lance leaf:

please help me out a bit thank you

Capensis: Partly to full sun.

Filiformis: I would say partly to full sun since mine is in full Florida sun.

The above is from experience.

Intermedia: It depends, do you have the tropical or temperate kind?

Adelae (Lance-leafed): This species supposedly hates direct sunlight. Idk, I've never grown this plant, but they like to divide and are easily propagated by root cuttings.

Regardless of the type of D. intermedia, it should receive full sun. But the "Cuba" form requires no dormancy.

-Ben

Welcome to Terraforums!

All of them should do fine in full sun, all day long. Unless you want to grow them indoors, in which case you would put some florescent fixtures about them.

In my experience, Adelae can take lotsa light, or much less light. It's not too picky indoors.

Intermedia does not depend on if it's tropical or temperate. All these plants love light.

If you repotted them when you received them (right?), slowly give them more and more light so they can acclimate properly, with no burning.

For the temperates (filiformis and temperate intermedia), give them significantly less light during the winter cause they go dormant. If you don't already know about dormancy, you should search through these forums for help.

Oh, and just as a tip, keep D. graminifolia out of heat. It likes cool roots but bright light.

We all do different things, within reason. Here's what I do:

binata: Outside in the sun from spring to fall and in a coldish, sunny window for the winter

capensis: Does very well at window sills all year long, but can go outside for many months

intermedia: Same as the binata

filiformis: Same as the binata and intermedia

graminifolia: Window sill or artificial lighting. Does better when there is a day/night temp differential

lance leaf: Does just fine in artificial lighting or window sill

Back