What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Die Blue Jays, Die!!!

OMG, so ticked off I can't type.
I have two trays of year-old seedings I put out a couple of weeks ago...one of S. minor "Okee giant" and (more importantly) a half dozen S. purp. var. Montana "Georgia seed source" seedlings which are rare as hens teeth. Got home and checked on my other Sarracenia (which are on the other side of the house) and then went in the house, looked out the window in time to see a blue jay uprooting the last of the montanas! All of my Okee Giant and Montana seedlings are gone!!!!!!!!!!
I have a feeling Mr. Pellet Gun and Mr. Blue Jay are going to become close friends in the not-to-distant future.
Honestly, I feel sick. Think I'll drink extra-hard tonight.
Don

Ugh, I know you pain (well, on a smaller scale). One morning, I went to see my sarrs and it was as if a storm went in. My leucophylla was uprooted, picked up out of its water tray that was shared with my uprooted S. alata sw LA (w/e that means) and my uprooted flava (I think it's red tube too!). The soil in my leucos pot was all gone, so I had to replace, and my pot it up and had to pot up my S. alata sw La and S. flava 'red tube' (?...well, it has a red tube). My S. purpurea ssp. venosa was on its side and ate a baby growth point, now I'm waiting for another. Nothing happened to my rubra, at least. But, of course, with my bad luck, I was wrong. This morning, I found it on the ground and it ate a pitcher. And besides, I don't even know what did it! I suspect the squirrels!

I know what you are saying.
This is the first time in the many years I've been growing CP's that my top dressing of sphagnum moss has been raided by a bird making a nest. I lost several VFT plants that where pollination crosses I made that where going on 2 - 3 years old. Some location data sundews and others. :-(
I have read before about using CD's to keep the birds away so I tied a few up. It must have been some music it liked. It did not even phase this bird. I saw it come back numerous times and place its beak on the CD like a needle of a record player and jam out a little before leaving with another large mouthful of moss.
The good news for me now is I have not seen it back for 2 days now and have not noticed any more sphagnum moss ripped from the pots.
I hope the VFT's and sundew live in the nest of the bird and eat it's babies when they hatch. LOL

I hope the VFT's and sundew live in the nest of the bird and eat it's babies when they hatch. LOL

ROFL...ugh, you reminded me of something very disgusting I had to do once...:puke:

Here is how my set up looked about a year ago. I have since upgraded it to accomidate more plants and tall pitchers for this year:
f12.jpg

Here is the best way I found out how to prevent this. First I got a small rabbit cage. It worked for a while. But then something got them again. Then I went hard ball on them. I got some moth balls. Since then nothing will go by them. It's great.

It must have been some music it liked.
LOL

I got some moth balls. Since then nothing will go by them. It's great.
Where did you place them? Wouldn't they kill you're plants if they are in the pots?

At walmart they have this 3 pack of moth crystals or something. They are made to hang in with your clothes. Well I just hooked them up to the side of the pots so they are not in the pot or where the rain can't wash it into the pot. Serious go check it out. They are a couple bucks. But the rain does kinda dissolve them. So I got a box of small moth balls and just but them in the cases.

Oh man, I feel your pain!

Today was my first squirrel damage of the season, I quickly built a chicken wire protection.

I'd never seen any squirrel damage here until last fall, about a week before the big NECPS Show and three weeks before a big garden club CP presentation. The varmints had gone insane and dug out over 50 of my show-ready CPs on our deck in one day. This continued the entire week. I'd never seen anything like it before and was hoping it was just a one time thing....

drinking is bad for your liver.

Back