What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dictation software - yes again!

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Ok, so I got my dictation software, it is said to work on XP and lower but when I install it and hit Train speech engine all I get is this dialog box
dialogbox.jpg

which only allows me to select the Stephen Hawking robot voice and no way to add a new voice as in "speech to text" which the instructions state I should see a box to select "new" and add train for my voice.

Anyway, that program didn't work on my XP Pro desktop nor my Vista laptop but in messing with trying to use this on my laptop I see that even Vista home basic version (mine) includes the speech recognition & dictation software so that's a good deal and I can still play around.

Too bad I essentially paid $30 for this chintzy headphone set (and the software makes a dandy coaster) but I probly coulda got a telemarketer quality headset for that... :)

What software did you purchase? I hear Dragon NaturallySpeaking is pretty good.

I looked up dictation software and only came across Talk It Type It 2 so I bought that. After I looked instead for Speech recognition last night I found that Naturally Speaking software by Dragon. But since the Vista one already installed in the laptop seems OK I'm gonna stick with that for now. If after a few training sessions it still doesn't do what I want then I'm gonna check out the Dragon software. Right now the Vista does pretty well, however "Nepenthes" always comes up "nepenthes these". Weird/made up people place names don't come out right but perhaps if you train each bizzare word it gets better.

Back