What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diagnosis: Fir Tree Lung

MOSCOW, RUSSIA --

Doctors in the Urals region of Russia were amazed when they found a fir tree growing inside the patient's lung.

Click on the slideshow to the left to see the tree the doctors removed Surgeons made the discovery when they were doing a biopsy on the 28-year-old man, Artyom Sidorki.

He had complained to doctors of having extreme pains in his chest, and had also been coughing up blood.

His doctors suspected Artyom had cancer. That's when they decided to perform the biopsy procedure to make sure.

But they never imagined seeing a small spruce growing inside the lung tissue. One of the surgeons, Vladimir Kamashev, says, "I blinked three times and thought I was seeing things."

Doctors are convinced the man had somehow inhaled a seed, which began to succesfully grow inside his lung.

Link to the the above with the slideshow pics:

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story/Tree-Grows-in-Mans-Lung/5qk5H6UhdkGpML4TnSUREw.cspx?rss=702

well at least it wasn`t cancer!

It just goes to show that a vegetarian lifestyle isn't always healthy.

Who eats fir for food? Humans dont have symbiotic microbes in the circum like many vegetation eating animals do. If only cellulose was as nice on the body as glucose. I would eat a nepenthes pitcher a day to keep the doctor away lol.

i wouldve taken that dang tree and planted it in my yard. what a reminder that would be :)

~billy

My grandfather went in for a chest x-ray and they found an abnormality on his lung thinking it was cancer.

When he went in for surgery, it turned out to be a peanut.

Read about that a week or two ago; that's pretty darn amazing. I check out those Russian news sites fairly regularly- there's some good stuff! The karate master who assaulted some other tenants (whilst intoxicated.) Then there are actually some VERY cool ones, like the feral Russian dogs that are adapting to urban life by taking the subway and their domesticated "hunting" routines.

That is incredible! Definitely one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Way back when I was in school I read a short article in Discover Mag about a kid in Africa who had some kind of plant seed germinate in his eye but it didn't get very big - basically it just germinated before a doctor took it out. They figured a windstorm had blown it into his eye.

I wonder, if you injected yourself with a syringe of Enoki mushroom spores... you could have fresh mushrooms anytime you took a shower! :D

I'm skeptical. How could it grow to that size in a lung? I could see *maybe* a seed's germinating, but it seems to me it would die. I don't see any roots, and the "sprout" doesn't even looked malformed. Seems to me the body would attack it and there'd be massive infection and a cyst formed around it, at the very least.

I'm thinking either the whole story is fake, or the guy somehow inhaled a piece of branch and lied about it.

Back