What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'dews and dormancy

i've been looking in to getting a d. capensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to D. capensis, the genus name, even when abbreviated is always capitalized.]</span> (cook's has them on sale
smile.gif
) since i know they're native to S. Africa and i figured they wouldn't need a dormancy... however one of the varieties on cook's says they do? i'm looking at the "all green/white flower" variety which does not have a dormancy disclaimer. so do these need dormancy? if so, are there any dews besides pygmies that don't...? it's getting tough moving these plants around to and from school, and i'd like something i can enjoy year round
smile.gif

thanx for the help!

No, Drosera capensis do not need dormancy at all. He just gives them dormancy so he won't be overrun by seedlings all year long.Below is a list of a few plants that DO NOT need dormancy.

Drosera Capensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read, Drosera capensis, the second part of a binomial species name is always written in lower case.</span>(all forms)
Drosera Spatulata<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read, Drosera spatulata, the second part of a binomial species name is always written in lower case.</span>
Drosera Adelae<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read, Drosera adelae, the second part of a binomial species name is always written in lower case.</span>
Pinguicula Primuliflora<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read, Pinguicula primuliflora, the second part of a binomial species name is always written in lower case.</span>
Drosera Burmannii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read, Drosera burmannii, the second part of a binomial species name is always written in lower case.</span>
Drosera Alicia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read, Drosera aliciae, the second part of a binomial species name is always written in lower case and in this case the specific epithet was missing its final "e".</span>
All Neps<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read, Nepenthes, the first time a genus is written in a passage it is written out before being abbreviated, and abbreviations are the first letter of the genus name, capitalized.</span>
Utricularia Livida<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read, Utricularia livida, the second part of a binomial species name is always written in lower case.</span>

These are a few CPs that do not require dormancy.

i dont think any of the regular South African species (including D. capensis) that require dormancy. i do believe there are some South African species that do but you prolly wont run into them to often. for a Drosera that you want to enjoy year round D. capensis is an excellent choice. i love mine. i have a "typical" and an "albino"<span style='color:red'>[Edit: This type has a registered cultivar name, which is written, Drosera 'Albino']</span> form sitting side by side that look awesome. the only thing is they like lots of light. they will grow in less than ideal light but all the really really great looking ones ive seen are grown in lots of light.

If you want some D. capensis albino<span style='color:red'>[Edit: this Drosera has a registered cultivar name, correct to read, Drosera capensis 'Albino' or Drosera 'Albino']</span> seeds I will send you some for free. Dont waste your money buying that weed. lol

Steve

Edit: ggrrr  darnit I hate that. Got me that time Joseph... Gotta be on ur toes with those cultivar names around here hehe....

lol its only a weed if yah let it flower, im about done letting mine flower. im sick of picking D. capensis seedlings out of my U. reniformis pot. i wish my D. madagascariensis produced seeds like these guys!

VFT guy- actually that would be awesome
smile.gif
 thanx!!! i'd love to experiment with seeds. i don't have access to a lot of planting media right now but i may be able to finagle a handful of peat/sand out of the school's greenhouse (i'm sure they wouldn't mind loaning a bit to an avid plant lover!), or if all else fails i can check out walmart, which has a halfway decent variety of substrates, or at least peat and perlite that i've seen. what's the best to start them in? also, how long would seeds keep for, and how should i store them?

also should i PM you with my address or SASE? thanx so much!!! and hey if i can get my VFT-typical to flower and seed (it's trying, anyway), maybe i can send you some of those in return.

and hey, i think D. Capensis is a pretty darned cool-looking "weed" ;)

The length of time seeds can be kept are variable - smaller seeds (like D. burmanii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, D. burmannii]</span>) can be kept for a shorter period of time since they have less endosperm...but it also depends on the quality and health of the parent plant. I would say keeping ability of D. capensis seed may or may not be good as on one hand people say it can bury a pot with seed but in the other hand D. capensis may roduce a large quantity of seed as a compromise if the quality of the seed is not too good (to ensure enough germinate).

I would say 50:50 peat:sand as a standard mix for sundews, however you can try differetn mixes (eg. 50:50 peat:perlite, peat:LFS...etc). For storage I would say paper evelopes as they absorb water which can be detrimental to the quality of the seed.

Jason

Depends on your storage technique too. I've a batch of Drosera burmannii seed I collected in 1986 that still has 100% germination. It's 19 years old, but is stored with dessicant under refrigeration and still germinates with excellent vigor.

BTW; Drosera burmannii is a tropical species that has no dormancy requirement. In the right conditions the plants can persist for several years and it is a very quick grower which produces copious seed with little effort.

What about Drosera binata 'giant T form'? I was lead to believe that it didn't need a true dormancy. Should I have put the poor guy to rest this winter? It's still growing like mad...

Sam
San Jose, CA

Back