What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dew

hey all, my butter wort that i got from pft a few weeks ago has been growin nicely, but 1 problem, there is no dew what so ever,
sad.gif

it stays around 60% humidity during the day and at night i put it in a small little terarium i made outa a 5 galon tank, and i put it in there at night and i am guessin its around 95% humid in there.

and i mist my plants often, any ideas why there is no dew? i am thinkin if it had dew, itd catch gnats and produce more

any help?

thanks
-stefano

I duno my plant took a long time to prooduce any dew , but once it got started it didn't stop. I think you should stop misting

I am not sure what you are referring to when discussing 'dew' and Pings. Pings do not produce 'dew' like a Drosera does. They have a waxy/fuzzy look to the leaves.

Cheers.

hmm ok

plain old engles her!

the stuf fthat the pings produce so that gnats and tiny inects can get caught on the leaves, that stuff
smile.gif

^^, also dew, hehehe,

pleasem, mine isnt producin any stickay wax ;[

There is "sticky stuff" on butterworts but its not as evident as what you typically see on sundews. So perhaps you just can't see it. Maybe try a magnifying glass to look. And if you are misting them a lot you may be washing the sticky stuff off of it. If the humidity is pretty good, you shouldn't need to mist them.

Suzanne

I used to think my Pings were not producing as well so I decided to find out for sure. Noow I am sure everyone here will slap me but I just pressed my finger down on the leaves and pulled away. On most of them a tiny little thread of mucilage was evident and if it wasn't all I had to do was rub my finger and thumb together and I could feel the slickness. Anyways, despite appearences, they all had mucilage so that might be the case with yours

Pyro

Yeah you can do the same thing with neps. My Ventricosa drools all over the place and is really sticky. I don't dare touch the pitchers for fear of being stuck

Back