What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

devils claw

Hi.

can anyone post a pic of this plant? I have never seen it before and I heard that they are often in local nursuries so I would like a pic of it. I can find them easier with a pic because they would stick out  
biggrin.gif
thanks

Spectabilis73
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

devils claw, i have only seen that plant once in my life time and that was up in the mountain of N.C. yes someone post a picture of it

Don't have a pic of the plant, but here's a pic of the seedpod.  Its Proboscidea parviflora
dc_seedpod.jpg

Martin,
That is a fantastic specimen of Ibicella, wow! Thanks for the link. Can you tell me if this plant will grow in a smaller habit, and is it suitable for indoor cultivation?

The stem looks relly gnarled... Its staked i belive... What kind of growth habits does it have inthe wild? Does it cling to some other plant, like a tree, or does it scramble???

I studied that plant a little in Biology.  The type by that name we studied lived in the dry parts of Africa and their seed pods got stuck to osterige feet.  It's a cool plant. I bet these ones are named after it because their seed pods look a lot like it.

what makes it carnivorous , the seeds , the plant , the flower or what . I think its the seed but I'm not sure because I saw on some tv channel that there was an oval seed that has digestive fluids and a trigger hair on it and when the pray touches the trigger hairs on the seeds it release digestive fluids that engulf the prey , then the seed sprouts after a couple of feedings .

goldtrap2690,

My impresion is the whole plant, leaves, stems, and flower sepals have little glandular hairs similar to butterworts (Savage Garden, p290).

The seeds are just seeds though the come in a wicked looking pod.
wow.gif

I would love to have a seed or plant of this carnivorous species . since I am from southern california i believe it is legal since thats where they have been introduced . o if any body has a plant or seed please tell me and I'll see what plants i have for trade .

I'm wondering, since roridula and several other "quasi carnivores" don't actually secrete any enzymes but just capture the insects. If I have a previously unmentioned quasi carnivore.

I have a pair of Uncarina peltata seedlings that seem remarkably adept at catching gnats. There's not a lot of data on this species around but its a member of the sesame seed family I believe. I have a pair of another Uncarina species but I just got them bare-root and they haven't put out enough leaves to see if they can trap bugs too. The U. peltata leaves feel very much like a butterwort's leaves but hairer. They've got lots of oily hairs all over the plants though.

Andrew

Hi:

I have got a ibicella that had just germinated from seeds, I call tell you seed germination is quite difficult. And it seems to me that it is the soil temperature and the atmospheric temperature that seems to trigger the germination. It is best to sow them in one-two weeks before the spring (lots of lights and keep soil moist) and germination should start in about 2-3 weeks to a month.

Oh, and the whole plants have sticky glands all over.

Regard

Kupo

I just got some ibecella lutea SEEDS not pods , i need info on when , how , where , and size .i never heard of uncarina , but it looks alot like a devils claw with a big bulb , i'd like to know more and i'm still trying to figure out the name of that carnivorou seed .

Back