What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devilish seedpod!

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
I was at the market today and I came across this thing. Its some kinda seedpod, I forgot the name of it. I had to buy it
smile.gif
But wow, this is the most wicked looking pod ever, even more so than the Devil's Claw! I see the devil's face on it, do you?
wow.gif

devilpod.jpg

wow , r u shur thats a seeds pod , where did you buy it from ( Specifically ) , I wonder what the name of it is .

Looks like something that would inspire a lot of superstion type of stories and/or folklore.

Is it edible? I remember something that looked liked that in the Asian supermarkets...

Found it in an Asian supermarket, parents say its tasty. When I get sick of looking at it, I'll crack it open and see what it tastes like. This is somewhat expensive though, I believe it was $1.99/lb. It doesn't weigh much, so I guess you could get a bunch for a pound
smile.gif

hey larry , can u give me the address to the market you got it from , since you live in the san fernado valley my neighbors think they can paint the pods and try to make something out of it and do u know where I can get the amorphophallus from the asian markets too .

I believe it's water chestnut (trapa natans). I usually find them at Ranch 99 stores in Chinatown. I showed one to a roommate and she thought it looked like the Venus statue's torso. Doesn't look like it in this picture, but the shape can be fairly variable.

All of these have the Devil's face on it, cool!  Goldtrap, I got it at the 99 Ranch market.  Can't remember the name, I was too busy looking for Colocasia esculenta tubers (Taro). You can find Amorphophallus paeoniifolius at Indian Markets (I've never been to an Indian market).  They refer to it as Indian Yam.  Somebody sent me a small tuber of A. paeoniifolius, so I may have some offset tubers later this year.  If you are able to find a large tuber, let me know, I'm interested.

Ok, found out what is it. It is Trapa bicornis, wickedthistle, you were close! And Steve, it is used in rituals and stuff, check out this informative page
devil nut website

the web site will not work for me

thanks
Jeremiah

Its working now, it might've been down.

Back