What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Developing leaves in dormancy

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
When my VFT fell asleep, in the middle of November, I noticed that, three of its leaves were still under development. A few of its mature leaves turned black, but some of them remained green. Three months later I have officially begun reversing the light and temp process to waken it. What happens to the emerging immature leaves? Do they die and get replaced by new ones or do they pick up where they left off?

Some die, some just take off from last last year. I took my vfts out about 2 1/2 weeks ago and about 70 percent of the leaves are still green. I even tested one leaf and the trap shut. The flytrad do replace the old ones after awhile it is just the are small in the begenning or deformed.

Travis

The leaves are still green, but then again, I was removing blackened ones thoughout the winter. I also took the liberty of transplanting them to larger quarters, while they were asleep, and added fresh LFS/peat/sand. In the process I got them a little soiled, so to speak. So I cleaned them off using a laboratory spray bottle. While doing that I thought I noticed that one of the traps closed slightly. I was a little surpsised to see a response, since thy've been in 40 degree temps for quite awhile. Temps on the sill are in the 50's. Anything else I should expect?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 23 2004,16:59)]The leaves are still green, but then again, I was removing blackened ones thoughout the winter. I also took the liberty of transplanting them to larger quarters, while they were asleep, and added fresh LFS/peat/sand. In the process I got them a little soiled, so to speak. So I cleaned them off using a laboratory spray bottle. While doing that I thought I noticed that one of the traps closed slightly. I was a little surpsised to see a response, since thy've been in 40 degree temps for quite awhile. Temps on the sill are in the 50's. Anything else I should expect?
They will pick up were they left off. Traps can still work in winter, it depends on the plant. They still make new leaves in the winter, just slower. Usually just the traps fall off of old leaves... uh yup that's about it.

Back