What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dendrobium Pegasus

Hi folks,

I'm not big into Dendrobiums but I saw this nice little hybrid in bloom and picked it up on an impulse from a Franks Nursery and Crafts store. It's a cane forming type and less than 12" high and flowering. Can anyone tell me what species make it up and/or what climate I should grow it in?

Available spaces with bright artificial lighting and 80%+ controlled humidity:
Lowland: 75-85*F days 70*F nights
Intermediate: 65-75*F days 60*F nights
Highland: 65-80*F days 40-50*F nights

The RHS International Orchid Register is the source for hybrid orchid parentage information.  But, as you'll find when searching for that one, there isn't always a listing.  I've heard some of the mass market growers don't always register their crosses.

But it's probably a Phalaenopsis type Dendrobium, which means it tolerates a wide range of conditions, except cool temperatures.  Even cold only seems to stun it for a few months.  But they'll blast flower buds with any kind of environmental change, so don't be surprised if you lose unopened flower buds after bringing it home. Maybe start with the lowland spot and see how it does. But I suspect it'll also bloom in the intermediate conditions.

Thanks Bruce,
I did a web search and the one photo I found of "Dendrobium Pegasus" on a japanese website was indeed not my plant (not unusual considering the type of place I bought it at). Mine has very light pink and white flowers on it and the photo for Dendrobium Pegasus was some hiddeous creation with mustard yellow petals/sepals with a dark maroon lip! Ugh! I wouldn't take that plant home for free!  

Anyway, this little one is at the end of it's bloom cycle (last buds have already opened before I got it) so I'm just going to enjoy the last few weeks (maybe) of the blooms and then place it in a good growing environment. There are a few small new shoots poking out of the chunk of wood and lots of healthy white roots so I think it's a good deal for $9.99, even if I don't know what it is exactly! I'm gonna try and photograph it before the blooms fade so I can do some searches for similar hybrids.

Curse my impulsive nature, if I wouldn'tgo to those kinds of store I would only buy correctly marked species plants at the orchid shop or by mail. I just can't resist a cheap nice looking orchid right there in front of me like that though!
smile.gif

I would guess that it is probably a Dendorbium Phal....give it lowland conditions and LOTS of light...thse plants grow best in 3000-5000 footcandle light

Thanks! I will put it in my intermediate Nepenthes chamber which is lit by a 400 W metal halide.

It will like that.....high humidity+strong light should = a happy plant....

Back