What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deformed/mutated leaf on my adelae...

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
I just noticed today that there is a new leaf, mutated, on one of my adelaes. I don't have a digital camera, therefore no pic, but I'll try to make an accurate illustration with symbols... it looks like this:

/|\
     | | |
    |_|_|  
       |
     _ |_
    |  |  |
    |  |  |
    |  |  |
     \ | /  
      \|/

(Sorry about how crooked the spine of the leaf looks. I couldn't get the | marks perfectly straight)

Nothing ate at the leaf, because there are no bite marks or anything suggesting that it was tampered with. Is this a condition? Or is it just a simple mutated/deformed leaf?

Thanks!
        FTG

I don't think you have anything to worry about. This "puckering" is very common, and can be caused by many factors. Something has caused some of the cells on the proto-leaf margins to die off, resulting in the constriction leading to this puckering of the leaf. It could have been a day of low humidity, a little too much light, a brief lack of adequate water or insect attack: spider mites can cause this type of appearance. Only the last need concern you. Look closely, and if there are no signs of mites, then your plants are not in danger.

It's not puckered at all. It's exactly how it looks in the figure. The leaf is perfectly normal 2/3 of the way up, then there is nothing but a missing space, just bare stem(no puckering or ruffling or anything), and then it's back to normal at the tip. The leaf is not folded, puckered, pursed, ruffled, or bent at all.
                    / | \   <span style='color:red'>Top of leaf</span>
                   |  |  |<span style='color:red'>/</span>
                   |_|_|
<span style='color:red'>Empty space</span> |  <span style='color:red'>Empty space</span>    
                  <span style='color:red'>\</span>  | <span style='color:red'>/</span>
                    _|_              
                  |  |  |  <span style='color:red'>Bottom of leaf</span>
                  |  |  |<span style='color:red'>/</span>
                  |  |  |
                   \ | /
                    \|/

Hmmm, very strange.  Are the other leaves on the plant normal? Any damage to the leaf in is formative stage will be reflected in the mature leaf. Perhaps something injured it at an early stage (as above) in its growth. Beyond this, I can offer you no other explanation, other than something ate it, and then moved on.

Yup. Normal and covered heavily in dew
biggrin.gif

I see you edited that post... nothing could've eaten it at all. It came up just like that. And there are absolutely NO slice or bite or chomp marks. And nothing bigger than a ladybug could've gotten onto the plant because of the bottle half that is set over the plant.

Greetings,
FTG

Hi:

Just thought to share my view point. A couple years ago I was experiementing the effect of chemicals to CPS, and one thing I had discovered with adelae is that if it's root has been stimulated by any forms of chemicals or impurities it will start to form this funny looking leaf. For adelae, this type of leaf usually mean that it is distressed. To make it recover, I moved it into a 100% humidity cultivation box and also change the soil. It will take a good few month before the plant is back to normal.

I do not know what might have caused the root stimulation in your case but it could be due to some form of chemical impurities that may have exist in your soil. And it may be until now it is starting to degrade and releasing it's chemical constituents.

I hope this help

Regard

So would the chemicals hurt the plant? Will they go away after a while?

It should not hurt your plant if you change the soil or give it lots of wash, also, lots of tlc with high humidity.

regard

I would not wory FTG. I repotted my adelae, which is a cluster of plants, a few months ago and for about a month nearly every leaf was mutant. Bits were missing, they were bent in wiered ways, one leaf even forked towards the end!

http://www.freewebs.com/hc_organics/Pics/adelaefork.jpg

The plant before, in 7"pot

http://members.optusnet.com.au/chfr/pictures/adelae.jpg

And now in a 10" pot

http://www.freewebs.com/hc_organics/Pics/adelae.jpg

You can see some mutant leaves still. Most of the leaves that were missing parts have since died and been replaced.

The whole time the plant kept growing and is now back to normal and doing great!

George

The 1st and 3rd pic just bring me back to the forum index
confused.gif

1st pic:
adelaefork.jpg
\

EDIT: You have to copy paste the url adress to another window, I did that and I can see the pics... That fork is awesome!

I tried to imbed the images but couldnt get it to work (to tired to think)... Weired how they take you back to this forum though?!

Yes the fork is freaky, this plant has to be my favorite in my collection. I cant wait for the weather to warm up and really get it growing !!

George

Back