What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decreasing leaf size

N spectabilis has been growing like a weed for the past 6 months or so. The plant is still pretty small. About a month or so ago, I noticed that the growth rate was about the same but the size of the new leaves was rapidly decreasing, to the point that they were forming a 'cone' at the tip. The new leaves and the tip have been steadily browning while the older leaves have remained green. Today I noticed it has put out a small basal.

I don't know if this is the chicken or the egg... Didnit make the basal because the tip died, or did the tip die because it was putting energy into the basal?

I'm concerned because I'm seeing the same growth pattern in my asritolochioides but it does not have a visible basal. Asritolochioides has not grown well for me, never pitchering (I've only had it for 3 or so months) so I'm worried itnis starting a slow death.

What are the temps? Light? And other conditions?

Could be a pest of some sort, but this does sound like a syndrome that I have been hearing about lately that may not be related to pests. Not sure without more details!

For me, when night temps (summer values) remain above 55F for extended periods (even just 60F), some highland hybrids I grow sulked, producing smaller and smaller leaves until the growing tip started looking very stunted and sad. Now that night temps are closer to 50F consistently, these plants have perked up a lot and are making much better looking foliage. So, I would evaluate your night temps as the first thing to look at.

This is classic. I have had the same issue with my N. spectabilis several times over the years, and it is definitely related to basal growth. Perhaps we even have the same clone. My clone creates basals very consistently, and I can always predict the emergence of one by the exact symptoms describe. If you separate the basal soon enough, before the growth tip completely dies off you should be in good shape. Last time I waited too long to separate and my mother plant didn't survive. I have 3 growing basal divisions though!

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Temps - mid to upper 70's day, mid 60's at night

The growth points look a lot like the plant in the link robthered posted. The spectabilis makes sense, putting energy into the basal but the asritolochioides and glabrata (I think I might be seeing the start of this on N. glabrata) don't seem to be making basals, although I haven't looked closely at the base. Is there any chance this could be from mites/pests?

Always a chance. Get a magnifying glass and check the new leaves closely.

If you can, drop the night temps by another ten degrees F for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference. 65F at night isn't likely enough of a drop for some highland plants in the long run. Some experience drops to 45F periodically, remember.

If you can, drop the night temps by another ten degrees F for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference. 65F at night isn't likely enough of a drop for some highland plants in the long run. Some experience drops to 45F periodically, remember.

I'll try putting frozen jugs of water on the grow shelf at night. If that works, I'll try to put together a more permanent solution.

I cannot say what is definitively causing that as I've had neps do it seemingly at random. But I can agree with others that spectabilis likes chilly nights. Mine did best with temps in low 50's or lower.

Back