What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithopsman, N. glabrata is fairly fast, Mine has really taken off since I gave it full sunlight (removed the 60% shade cloth).

Trent, yup sibuyanensis is happy as long as it's not in lowland conditions.
smile.gif
So far, it appears to be a happy camper. I'm crossing my N. x rokko with N. x gentle. We shall see if it is successful which I am praying for!
smile.gif

Howdy Josh, yes it's in a square hanging pot (I make my own, just slit the rim with a knife and insert the clip). Anywho, that pitcher is approx. 2.5 cm tall. The pitcher buds are minute! About .5 cm tall. Maybe a little bigger by a micrometer maybe. The color gets more vivid as it ages, but yes the tiny pitchers on younger plants (when mine was a 7cm diameter plant) are quite colorful if they get alot of light. Mine only had faint streaks but when it was moved to the greenhouse it still made a few polymorphic pitchers that were very appealing, since then it's a weed...about 15cm tall and 18cm in diameter and rapidly going to exceed that soon! And now the more mature pitchers are being produced, many hanging and a few resting in the pot. It really is a beautiful plant without the pitchers, very graceful.

For the N. rajah, I haven't had any great sucess with pitchers being formed in the air as it's size now, when it was a 8cm plant the pitchers did form in the air but now since it's larger, I feel that I will obtain better results if I try to mimic the "on the ground" scenario. If a tendril does however happen to shoot off the designated mossed area I will let it go to see what mine will do, the next leaf may do that as it is quite large right now and not unfurled or even started to and it's about 16cm long. We shall see and thanks for your input on your plant!

Howdy Dustin,
Thanks for the reply! What you said to Josh was helpful for me, too, but a few parts were a little confusing... Maybe it's the grogginess from the flu a few days ago... If you could copy/paste it and add in a few periods, that would help. Sorry if I'm a pain, but if you've ever had the flu, you'd know that you don't really feel like decoding run-on sentences... More or less I just want to know about how the quickly the pitchers start to look "mature" in high-light conditions. Mine is currently a few inches tall (maybe 3 or 4") and the pitchers are small (a little under an inch) and still pretty juvenile, but they are getting some good little streaks of color. I agree about the gracefulness of the plant, the leaves and tendrils seem to "flow". Did you ever notice that baby plant's pitchers have the same form as uppers, just less color and a lot littler? Sorry about my long, confusing, probably boring post, but alas I have nothing better to do. *cough*
tounge.gif
Really! (me>
wow.gif
laugh.gif
smile.gif

The pitchers start to get less polymorphic when the plant get's larger which happens in high light conditions. I haven't timed the rate at which it takes to get the larger pitchers. Maybe it's because I have soo many plants to look at!
tounge.gif
Once the plant gets acclimatized it really does take off. Upper pitchers are way different form the juvenile ones. They are more like a tube rather than a squat pitcher. They start out quite skinny and flute up and out. An exaggerated way to show this is an upside down pear.

Here's the N. sibuyanensis as requested, note the very wirey tendrils:

sib1.jpg

sib2.jpg

N. lowii 'Mt. Kinabalu"
lowii1.jpg

What the red plant off the the right?

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the sibuyanensis pictures.

I thought I would share my newest N. bicalcarata 'Red' pitcher. Mine is just under 6 inches tall. I saw your photo NepG and it reminded me to post mine.

N_bical_red_6inches.JPG

The one in the second N. siobuyanensis photo ? It's an N. spectablis "gunnung bandahara" I don't think gunnung is spelled right lol. I can get you a pic of the whole palnt if you wish.

Pat no problem.
smile.gif

Nick, that's a nice pitcher! How big is your entire plant? Mine bical is just shy of 3 foot in diameter by about a half a foot.

cool pics;> Think I fixed it.. it's working for me now anyway.
T

Thanks Tony, I figured that out soon after. I will do it right next time... I think I will also move these pics and add a few to my own post. So people after this, that's why all of this looks weird...
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Nice plants, aww lookie the little glabrata!
biggrin.gif

Hey,
Very nice plants Dustin! You do an A++++ job!
Kevin

NepG: My bical is just under 20 inches in diameter. It would have been a bit larger but the biggest leave finally died on me. Its been growing somewhat smaller leaves, but with larger pitchers.

That' still a nice sized plant. The smaller size is probably due to the adequate light you are giving it. Plant size really doesn't matter if you want to show off, pitcher size does. ;)

all i can say is WOW
i am getting a N. sibuyanensis
and i can't wait!!!
btw what site do you host your pics from??

thanks dustin
how do you put the photos on???
oh sorry i mean how do you register??

Hi matti, I just grouped your 3 posts together in one just to help conserve space. Just use the edit button on a post if you wish to change or add info, this saves space and time.

As for adding photo's it's not necessary to register, just click the add photo or add photos button on any gallery you wish, just enter a gallery, like Nepenthes for example and at the top right hand corner you'll see a few blue buttons/links. Two of those will say add photo and add photos. Click add photos to upload multiple ones or just add photo to add 1 photo at a time.

just wondering,what kind of light do you guys use? i use 4 48 inch vho flours and this doesn't seem like hardly enough after seeing your plants.

they are over a 75 gal.

Back