What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead ping, cause of death?

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I have had a P. primuliflora in 3" pot for about 6 months now. The plant has been flowering, and producing plantlets. I checked the plant last night as a new flower was opening. The plant looked very healthy, had been producing new leaves and catching gnats. I checked the plant this morning, and it was dead. The entire plant was wilted, the leaves were brown, the flower stems dried up, and the roots dead. Even the plantlets are dead.

The only thing I can think of is that the plant got root rot and I didn't catch it. However, it just seems odd that the plant looked healthy one day, and was dead the next.

Perhaps I am overlooking something that could have saved the plant. I have another one in the next terrarium that has red veins and is also flowering. My oldest P. primuliflora is still alive and well.

Man... I know how you feel. Same exact thing happened to me. Check out my post entitled "Aww man!, My ping died!" The motherplant died like that, but for some reason the offshoot lived and is still pretty healthy.
confused.gif

Nearly impossible to catch root/crown rot on a Ping. When it travels through the roots into the crown it is too late once symptoms you describe become apparent.

Best thing is to grow multiple plants in seperate pots incase one comes down with a problem. That and just to be careful with Pings on watering there isn't a whole lot you can do.
Tony

I do not recall ever losing a plant overnight. This was a shock and something I had not expected. I will be keeping a close eye on my other P. primulifolia and I will be potting up some plantlets tonight.

wink.gif

i didnt know plants can die that quickly

Im thinking there was something strange in the drinking water
smile.gif

Back