What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead or dormant?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
I have a sarr I just got, and it may be dormant or dead. It looks dormant, because the cut pitchers are still red at the bottom, but the crown is brown. then i have another i have the same. Ill post pics soon enough

i would say it's alive. if you see color that's good. the rhizome is usually brown.

Anything that's brown, poke it. If it's all mushy, you'll know it's rotten.

The crown shouldn't be brown...

Hmm... pictures later, and the crown is stable for the most part...

i usually peel back one of the cut pitchers and check the color of the rhizome and not the dead pitcher parts around the rhizome.

~billy

Coming out of dormancy they often do look like that. I have two and both had every trap cut low for winter; when I brought them out of dormancy the rhyzome was discolored but the trap stubs were still red and green. I repotted it, watered it, put it outside, and after about a month, it's now growing new pitchers.

Don't give up on them unless they start rotting at the rhyzome (like what Jefforever said). I've seen some pretty sad-looking sarr and VFT plant stubs come up strong by late Spring. The rhyzome being brown could just be dirty, we also don't know what species the sarr is; it might be normal for that kind. If the rhyzome is mushy it's dying. If it's not mushy but it's a little more pliable than it should be, there's still hope. If it's solid, it's most likely healthy.

I have a sarr I just got, and it may be dormant or dead. It looks dormant, because the cut pitchers are still red at the bottom, but the crown is brown. then i have another i have the same. Ill post pics soon enough

Hey, they all look like crap right out of dormancy. If I have to answer another question wondering why my Sarracenia looked like hell in January, I'm finding a clock tower -- so help me . . .

Hey, they all look like crap right out of dormancy. If I have to answer another question wondering why my Sarracenia looked like hell in January, I'm finding a clock tower -- so help me . . .

You can say that again!

Here's how they looked when I brought them home from my co-worker's garage, a few weeks ago:

Picture017-2.jpg

This is how they look right now, after a trimming of the dead foliage:

Picture002-3.jpg

Here are some signs of life:

Picture018-2.jpg

Picture004-3.jpg

Alata and junebug are the varieties

I spy a Darlingtonia flower...

Back