What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dart Frogs

I recently have been looking into dart frogs and was wondering if anybody could help me.  I know several people on this forum raise them and have some knowledge in this area.  

I need to know.

1) What it takes to get started in this hobby

2) Startup and running costs

3) How easy is this hobby?

4) What's the best way to get froglets?

5) Any informative websites that I should visit?

6) I know there are some dart frog forums out there.  Any good ones?

7) Any other information you can give a 'newbie'.

Thanks!

SF

1. If you grow CP (succesfully) then you already have what it takes.

2. At least $100 total (bare minimum).

3. Moderately Difficult (7 out of 10)

4. Froglets aren't the best starter frogs. They can be very picky eaters. Sub-adults or Adults are best.

5. http://outlander.pointclark.net/

6. http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=23

7. The hardest thing to learn is how to keep a steady supply of food. Once you've got this down, your set.

Mike

Hi,

What are the best books on dart frogs and creating a terrarium for them? Is there a good society for them or internet forum?

Bobby

Here's what I need to know THE MOST before getting into this too deep. If I have to go on vacation for a week or two, can I leave enough food in the vivarium for the frog? Is there any way I can leave and have them live?

SF

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What are the best books on dart frogs and creating a terrarium for them?

I don't know. Check your local library.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]internet forum?

http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=23

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I have to go on vacation for a week or two, can I leave enough food in the vivarium for the frog? Is there any way I can leave and have them live?

Yeah, sure. Just put a fruit fly culture in the tank with them. They can go for more than a month like this.

**Deep Sigh of Relief** Thanks a ton Monkeyman!

SF

I bought most of my dartfrogs from www.saurian.net.
Check out his site, Patrick has some good info and great service.
Mark Wilson

Oh, I have a related question (I already have esperience with everything but the frogs themselves). Can they live in a tank WITH my CP's? Or are they going to get themselves eaten? I've got everything I need for them except fruitflies and the froggies themselves. I can get both easy (proticularly fruit flies since I'm a bio major and hang out in the gentics lab).

Depends on the species of dartfrog I'd say.I have some D.imitators that are called thumbnails frogs that are about 5/8" long and that is all the bigger they get.I wouldn't put anything CF wise in their tank.They use bromiliad axils to deposit their tads in and it would be hard get the tads out of say a nepenthes.But most dartfrogs I'd say would be fine.I want to get a couple neps for one of my tanks that has P.bicolors in it.They are big frogs at about 1 1/4".THIS HOBBY IS AS ADDICTING AS CF'S,YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mark Wilson

I love darts. I might end up with something bigger like a dumpy though. Depends... how do you keep fruit flies from getting out the lid?

That my be the trick, having a good environment for dartfrogs and cp's.My lids are basically 2 peices of glass and you can't really prevent fruit flie escapees 100%.I use the 2 peices so I have one as a lid and one where the lights sit.Most plants that like 80-100% humidity all the time grow all too well,I want to get some nepenthes to try when weather is better for shipping.What I have done is add some fruit like orange wedges.But basically I only feed enough so that most of the flies get ate.I have melonogaster fruit flies that have wings but are called "glider" which means they can't really fly but can glide so if they are crawling and you try to kill them they mainly just hop.

Back