What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dart frog decisions

I am sorry for making all of these posts on dart frogs, I am sure you all are starting to get sick of it. What I am wondering is what are some of the most rare and corloful dart frogs that collectors would be willing to die for. One thing that i would like t do with them is breed them and take them to shows to sell them at a discount price or possibly on kingsnake.

Dose any one know where I can get fruit flys really cheap for like five dollars
thanks
anson nesbitt

I know of a fairly rare one, the golden dart frog, that a froglet is $65. Anyways, at Petsmart, you can buy fruitfly cultures for $3-5. GOOD LUCK!!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

Dendrobates galactonotus is the scientific name, all Dendrobates are fairly high-priced, some can be $100+!!
wow.gif

gahh.....everyone is getting into poison frogs....may as awell get some myself....good thing I like green&black because they're all I can afford...

Lithopsman and Lithopsboy ROFL

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slizarus @ Sep. 27 2003,09:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">gahh.....everyone is getting into poison frogs....may as awell get some myself....good thing I like green&black because they're all I can afford...

Lithopsman and Lithopsboy ROFL[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I have been thinking of getting some. though, if i do get some, it will look like i am just following the crowd!
tounge.gif
But I'm not&#33
wink.gif

I love the blue dentrobatus, i think i will get that one. or maybe the one that is white with black spots

lithopsman, is lithopsboy your son? just wondering...
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 27 2003,3:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> lithopsman, is lithopsboy your son? just wondering...
rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe 'lithopsboy' is what they called lithopsman when he was growing up in Smallville?

tounge.gif

First thing is, when getting in to dart frogs. Don't thing your going to make a profit in selling dart frogs. I know that they are fabolous creatures, and by saying the most rare is saying the most unfound. The rarest dart frogs are impossible to get, and when you do, it cost a fortune for them. just a simple rare one will cost 125, anything that cost 65 and under are not that rare. I would recommend on people getting beginner frogs, I don't want to see you guys buy frogs for 500 dollars, and when you wake up, you noticed them on their back, laying dead. Setting up the vivarium costs proablby more then the frogs. Depending on where you get everything. And building a good simple habitat would cost you around 50 dollars for a simple 10 gallon.

So if your trying to make money off them, you'll need to have at least 20 frogs to start making profit in what you put in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Merlin @ Sep. 27 2003,9:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 27 2003,3:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> lithopsman, is lithopsboy your son? just wondering...
rolleyes.gif

Maybe 'lithopsboy' is what they called lithopsman when he was growing up in Smallville?

tounge.gif
LOL, actually, we have no relation, after he realized that there was a me (lithopsMAN), he apologized, but I don't really care, and amazingly, nobody has mistaken us yet!!
wow.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

i never noticed that there was a lithopsman and a lithopsboy , i always thought they were the same poepl or something . anwyays , there is no such thing as a froglet i thin k but thee is a thing called a tadpole . all i know about these creatures are that they are cool , there is on species called dendrobates auratus and that they are poisonous if the extract of there skin gets on yuh . i should consider getting into thsi hobbie but then again , i;ve had had trouble caring for frogs before , there crap is excriciatingly smelly and they eat like pigs that can swim .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">there is no such thing as a froglet i thin k but thee is a thing called a tadpole[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> There are things called froglets. Froglets are the process after they metamorphisis from tadpoles. The process is from when they lose their tail, until they mature and reach being an adult. Not all dart frogs are Dentrobytes. There are many other species for dart frogs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know of a fairly rare one, the golden dart frog, that a froglet is $65

That price if fairly mid-line, depending on the species and desire for it at any given time.  Also, what is usually referred to as a "golden frog" is most often a Mantella, which come from Madagascar.  Expensive dendrobates that I've seen generally run in the $145-195 price range.  As for hoping to sell them and all that at a discount price, people have already got the jump on it (check www.frognet.org).

Also, have you done much research at all in keeping dendrobates?  Buying fruit flies all the time can get expensive (Ed's Fly Meat can set you up with a monthly supply, but even that gets pricey).  I would highly suggest looking in to keeping your own cultures.

Hi HI HI,
New member that knows about dart frogs.
Thats a cool thing to hear =D.
I LOVE THE FROGGIES!!
D. Pumilo are kind of "rare" types. There usually waiting list for them
But things with waiting list does not mean they are most rare.
I'm on a waiting list for imitators, yet I know a lot of people already have them
But they are always in high demand.

What does it matter how rare the frog is? If you want a rare treasure, go buy a diamond. If you don't have the experience to care for the more difficult and rare frogs then you should let the more experienced individuals in the hobby keep and breed them until your skills have advanced. The only reason to get into this hobby is for the beauty of the frogs. You should simply look for a frog that is easy to care for and beautiful. Particularly easy to care for.

Also please note that all dart frogs are maintenance intensive, far beyond the amount of time we spend on our plants.

joe

Hey Joe,
I envied your Patricias before. But I got to say, I have a decent amount now =D. I don't think I'll have any room for tincs, but I have to say your patricias had a bold coloration that I didn't see in a lot =D. These waiting lists for some frogs can be nervewrecking.

Thanks DK, yes they are nice, I think they are about the most beautiful frog I have seen, in my opinion. The waiting list are a bummer, I wanted some nice green or red pumilios but didn't feel like being on a waiting list so I got the auteranias instead. I find the sharp contrast between the black and green quite striking. Also saved me a lot of money over the pumilios.

Now I just need to make one more nice display vivarium and I'll be happy.

Happy fogging.
joe

It isn't the price, it isn't the rarity, or the difficulty of care, its all those darn cool colors.

Well, i have decided what I want for dart frogs... I'm getting dendrobatus auratus, green on black
biggrin.gif
could anyone give me advice on what plants to put in the vivarium? and also just basic vivarium construction? TIA

First we would know how much effort, money you want to put onto the tank. The tank can be very expensive, and depending on which you decided you want, would have an impact on how it looks.

Typically, the plants that would be in are ferns, tropical moss, Sphagnum moss works well also, bromelaids, orchids, and vines. Then you can use air plants that if you go looking around, Joe, had a neat idea to use suction cups and put the air plants on it.

Auratus are a good beginning choice =D. You would have to decide if you want a false bottom method or just a pea gravel bottom, or something similar. Just talk to me on yahoo messanger, and I could help you out with your needs.

You've got a LOT of searching to do, Spect!  There are so many different ways to setup and run a viv...and just as many people who will say that is the "best" way.  Half the battle is knowing what species you want to keep, and then building the viv around their requirements.  You've picked auratus, which I believe are pretty terrestrial, so you'll want to go with something that has really good length and/or surface area to give them maximum territory and movement.

Here is a German link (via Google translation) that has some good information...even monthly rainfall: http://translate.google.com/transla....&u=http

They do their hunting on the ground, but still love to climb and tend to sleep in the upper areas of the tank, so you are looking for a viv that has the best of both worlds.  A standard larger size aquarium would work well...you could probably do a 55 gal tank, but I think a 75 or 90 gal would be best in providing more surface area and a bit more height.  A 40 gal breeder might even work depending on your space and budget.  They are much more active with high humidity, so I would look into rigging up a mister via DIY humidifier for cheap, like this one:  http://www.frognet.org/gallery/JasonW-humidifier-setup  

Then there comes the entire design of the viv, and this really comes down to personal preference.  I would just spend time doing some research on different peoples' sites and seeing what appeals to you.  There is the popular false bottom design, or just gravel, or using LECA (little water absorbing clay spheres) with maybe a pipe used for siphoning water, or just a layer of peat moss and leaves where you can just scoop it out when it gets nasty and replace it with fresh.  I think it really comes down to what you're looking to do as far as maintenance and certain aspects of the viv.  If you want a water feature, false bottom is nice.  If it's pretty terrestrial, just a basic peat bottom may work best.  You may be thinking something like this with a lot of plants: http://www.poison-frogs.nl/e03.html (scroll downt the page for his first viv) or something more simple like this: http://www.frognet.org/gallery/Dilshad-Khan-90G (personally, one of my favorites for terrestrial species).

As far as plants, I would suggest trying out plants from a local Home Depot, Lowes, or garden center.  Pothos are pretty popular, but again it will take some reading around on various sights and seeing what people are keeping and what they've had success with.  Some may like more stagnant, humid air...but some may need some circulation to keep from molding away.  A lot of it is trial and error.  It might help to chech out some viv suppliers and often they will have little descriptions and requirements of plants (www.fantasticfrogs.com  www.blackjungle.com).  

As you narrow down what you want, it can be much easier to help out with specifics.  But others can throw in their experiences and what has worked for them or what hasn't.  Hope this helps you out a little.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with skylsdale choice of plant shops. You are better off starting with the correct plants from someplace that knows what you need. Drop me an email spec and i'll reply with a couple of links that should help you out. A plant order will most likely cost you less then a CP order but in the end the total cost for the vivarium is more than the frogs. You should do a lot of reading before you begin buying things, it will save you a lot of trouble. Feel free to ask plenty of questions.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I'm going to have to disagree with skylsdale choice of plant shops.  You are better off starting with the correct plants from someplace that knows what you need.

I can see your objection to places like Lowes (I wouldn't buy from there, either, unless there was a specific plant that would work well in the tank I was building; special ordering pothos is a waste of money when you can pretty much get it at any grocery or home improvement store).  Maybe you missed my suggestion to:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] chech out some viv suppliers and often they will have little descriptions and requirements of plants (www.fantasticfrogs.com  www.blackjungle.com).  

Personally, I think it all comes down to what you're trying to achieve. If you want to go with something arboreal then you're probably looking for epyphitic plants, etc. that do well in a highly humid environment...and available from online vendors. But if you're going to be putting together something mostly terrestrial for tricolors or leucs, it's kind of a waste to order a bunch of ferns and ground plants that you can get at almost any local nursery or garden center.

Also Spec, you can usually collect ferns and mosses from your local area. That's what I did and the mosses I found were much cooler than the stuff off of the net.

Mike
smile.gif

P.S. Pothos, in general, isn't the best plant for a small terarium (20 gal. or less). It's a fast growing plant with a large root system and it can take over a tank if not pruned back periodically. However, it does make a good candidate if you have several tanks because it is very cheap, readily available, and covers alot of space. It also acts like a sponge to absorb excess nutrients (nitrogen) which would normally build up to unhealthy levels. So if you just want something to fill a gap or you have multiple tanks and you want to save $$$, Pothos can be good.

Back