What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darn it/ YES!!!

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
My 'tarnok' is coming out of dormancy, and is flowering. I put it into dormancy about the begining of Nov. What do I do?

ummm, put it into dormancey in december next year?

enjoy a bit of color at this time of year

Grow it and enjoy it. You can't fight Mother Nature. There is strong evidence that a long dormancy may not be required for temperate species. There is a big difference between growth in habitat where the dormancy is mandatory, and in cultivation where it can be regarded more as optimal.

Some issues to consider: why did the plant begin it's growth cycle now? Dormancy is closely tied to photoperiod: were you keeping it at 11 hrs. of light? Did you increase your photoperiod?

If the plant had a minimal dormancy, it is likely to do just fine. I have a friend in Brazil that grows Sarracenia without the cold dormancy that plants here in the U.S. get during the dormant months. His successful cultivation of these plants proves that there is a lot of leeway, but one thing we do have in common regarding the dormancy, and that is short days.

I kept some Drosera intermedia in my Growroom this season, instead of in the cold cellar close to frozen. The plants formed hibernacula outside in late Sept., but began growing again in Middle December. That's a very short dormancy, and I expected them to croak. but they are doing fine now. It had a minimal dormancy.

Besides, plants from the Southern range will be stirring soon I think. Maybe yours just heard the Call a little earlier! I am about to bring many of my Dionaea into cultivation again, and I expect that they will thrive.

Well, the only way I could of increased the photoperiod is the sun. It is in a northwestern exposure, and the temps are around 50-60. Only problem is none of my other sarrs are showing signs of wanting to come out of dormancy.

Did you get the plant in the past year? If so, it likely was fresh out of tissue culture. It seems plants fresh out ot TC don't really need a dormancy, or have a shortened one during the first winter.

I got my Sarr this fall and only two had gone dorment by November. In fact, I gave up waiting and just chucked the remaining 3 wakefulls down in the cellar with the rest of them at the end of DECEMBER! I think this is sort of a weird thing... but not THAT odd.

... I've also conected another odd CP dormancey thing. The relatively rare Northern sundew known commonly as the thred sundew is consitered hard to grow in cultivation because a lot of them seem to wake up for a while mid winter. They happen to also be native to MI and in MI we have a rather odd winter pattern. Often times the temperature rapidly falls in october and we begin seeing freezing rain and snow. By the time late November early December comes around out precipitation has dropped off a lot and we get weird freeze thaw cycles all over the place. Not that the temp change is radical, it just bounces slightly above and slightly below freezing. Then, in late december or early January we just get nailed with sub freezing temps and tons of snow. I've seen a lot of out "ever green" (as in two growth fases, but never actuallu 100% barren) plants do a minni growth session around November so long as we don't have a snowy year. I think that this must not be an exception like I once thought, but just another survival mechanism seeing as throwing things like D. filliformus into cultivation hasn't gotten rid of that proticular tendency... Anyhow, such tactics may also explain your plants funny choice of flowering (we also happen to have insects active during this weird mid winter warming).

Here's a pic. This is the plants second year of dormancy.
Tarnok%20flower.jpg

Looks like its about ready to be repotted. Looks to be a very vigorous plant.
smile.gif

Cole

Oh,yea it is. When it goes dormant this year I'm gonna re-pot all of them.

Back