What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

darn aphids

Are they what cause vft traps to sprout slightly off axis? or is that simply natural?

I had a major aphid infestation on my VFTs. I sprayed them with some Orthenex and poof--no more aphids, and the plants seem none the worse for wear.

I have heard that the wettable powder form of Orthene is better, but have never run across any...

Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are they what cause vft traps to sprout slightly off axis? or is that simply natural?

Any sort of minor thing like that should be of little consequence. Even more major deformations can just be due to physical stress. Aphids cause major twisting and deformation. You've got aphids when you see 'em.

Alright.. hopefully i've nothing to worry about. I'll post a picture of what i'm talking about later today

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ajkimoto @ Aug. 17 2006,10:51)]I had a major aphid infestation on my VFTs. I sprayed them with some Orthenex and poof--no more aphids, and the plants seem none the worse for wear.

I have heard that the wettable powder form of Orthene is better, but have never run across any...

Andrew
"Orthenex" and "Isotox" I think are what the chemical company Ortho came up with when their patent on "Orthene" expired. Orthene was a great pesticide for VFTs and many other plants, especially effective on aphids and other sucking insects, because it was systemic--it soaked into the plants and made them poisonous to aphids, etc.

Some old-timers don't like the replacements for Orthene, "Isotox" and "Orthenex," but luckily you can get the original Orthene in generic form, cheap. The generic name is glyphosate. Do a Google "Froogle" search or some other Internet search to find the best price for glyphosate.
smile_m_32.gif

Back