What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia wilting

Today I noticed that my Darlingtonia appears to be wilting. The mature pitchers as well as the developing ones appear to be drying up. The plant looked fine just a few days ago. It has been overcast the last few days and it rained a few days ago, so I haven't watered the plant in a few days. Even so, with the rain, the soil has been wetter than it normally is and temperatures have been cool too. The rain knocked over the main pitcher, which is why it is bent, but that doesn't appear to be why the plant wilted. The Drosera venusta in the same pot seem fine. I have never used pesticides or fertilizer before so I am at a loss as to what the cause could be. The small offshoot at the bottom of the second picture looks fine. The growing medium is peat, perlite, and orchid bark.

Here are pictures of the plant:

DSC_0617.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

It does appear that your plant is slightly wilted. If the soil is very moist and your plant still wilts, then you likely have a root disease. Water it and then carefully watch it during the hottest parts of the next few days. If the wilting continues, quarantine the plant and its soil from all your other plants.

The cat is already out of the bag on this over at another forum. It appears that at least in one instance, root rot of Darlingtonia was traced to specific watermold pathogens. This is only the first step at understanding the diseases of plants from Sarraceniaceae. I received an analysis about some crown-rotted Sarracenia in which the same pathogen was found. It will be interesting to see what other analyses discover about plants that died of rot.

Once we as a community concretely identify the culprits responsible for CP root rots, the next steps are selection for disease resistance as well as seeing what cultural or chemical solutions can solve these issues once and for all.

There is nothing I hate more in this world than living with the specter of crown rot. Ever since it hit my collection last year, I've been trialing every way I can think of to combat it. I think I've finally found what works but won't be sure until I haven't had an outbreak for a few years.

http://sarracenia.proboards.com/thread/2229/darlingtonia-tested-root-disease

Last edited:
We've known about those pathogens for a few years and not many have taken any notice. They're still referring to books which got the information from the book before which got the information from the book before that ad nausium.

And then it it could be mealybugs in the roots which is what killed off several of my pots of Darlingtonia,

Thanks for the replies. I will keep a close eye on the plant over the next few days and if it doesn't recover I think I will uproot it and see what is going on with the roots.

I think the plant is dead. This is the only part that looks unaffected but the new growth at that point has also wilted so I think it is only a matter of time before it dies.

DSC_0641.jpg

I still need to dig up the plant and find out what the culprit is.

I think the plant is dead. This is the only part that looks unaffected but the new growth at that point has also wilted so I think it is only a matter of time before it dies.

DSC_0641.jpg

I still need to dig up the plant and find out what the culprit is.

Sorry bud. =( Usually by the time you see visible wilting on a crown rotted plant, you're already too late. I lost a 'Night' this spring in a matter of 3 days.

Last edited:
I found this stolon covered by some perlite on one side of the pot. Apparently it has not wilted yet but I don't see any pitchers either.

DSC_0866.jpg

Is this a lost cause or is there anything I can do to salvage what is left of the plant?

Back