What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia stolons

I just repotted my cobra lilies since they were getting out of control and a stolon was getting cramped. Turns out I had no idea just how much.

I hadn't seen a bare root stolon before and it wasn't at all what I expected. It was surprising enough to warrant a photo, for those who hadn't seen it before either.

cobrastolon.jpg

cobrastolonclose.jpg

The middle of the stolon is what I thought was the only growth (it was all that was visible above the medium).

Somehow I thought it would be like a spider plant, where a chain of plants form from distinct, widely-spaced points on the stolon. But this is just odd. I guess someday I'll figure out exactly how these develop into individual plants.

I would put them in live, swampy, LFS and see what happens.

Wow that's interesting. NEver seen more then a drawing. Oh an you are so luck you can grow Darlingtonia.

I pulled them out of pure LFS and I put them back into pure LFS. Although the new pot is taller, and I'm hoping the lowered water table won't be a problem. I guess I'll find out.

Growing them indoors is probably much much easier than outdoors. I haven't tried outdoors yet.

Oh wow, you keep those indoors? Please tell us about your method. I have a bunch of seedlings outdoors right now, it would be nice to have a few inside. Nice pics too; that definitely is peculiar. Are those roots coming out of an individual pitcher, or is that a growth point?
~Joe

indoors, a good south window works well but i grew mine for 6 months under 4 ft flourecents and it did fine. mine is growing beside some Sarrs in a big south facing picture window here at the newspaper. they were growing infront of a south facing sliding glass door at home but now that its summer Darla informed me the curtain had to be closed to help keep the house cool. oh well, guess my highland Neps appreciate her efforts.

how tall do Darlingtonia get? mine is only about 3.5 inches tall at the moment and is over a year old.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ June 30 2005,3:10)]Oh wow, you keep those indoors? Please tell us about your method. I have a bunch of seedlings outdoors right now, it would be nice to have a few inside. Nice pics too; that definitely is peculiar. Are those roots coming out of an individual pitcher, or is that a growth point?
I grow them in a basement under fluorescents. I'd like to add sunlight to the mix but it's easier just to have them near the RO unit. I couldn't tell you exactly what wattage they're getting because they're grouped with a bunch of plants under a bunch of lights. They're probably getting at least 50W.

They were in pure LFS in a self-watering pot. Nothing special was done with them.

The mother pitchers are all coming out of a growth point. If I remember right, some of the old stolon the original plant grew out of was still there next to the roots. An inch or more down that stolon is where the new stolon started from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 30 2005,12:46)]how tall do Darlingtonia get? mine is only about 3.5 inches tall at the moment and is over a year old.
I know they can get really tall (a couple feet), but I don't know what encourages them to do it yet.

I had one pitcher come up a while back that was 4 times bigger than the existing pitchers. Then another that was almost that big. That's the only time it ever happened. The only variable was that it was in much lower light, so my only guess is that it was a way of "reaching" for the light. Now that it gets enough light the plant is small and compact and red. Though that doesn't make much sense since you'd think light would bring growth. They're in lower light in the new pot so I'll see what happens.

Being in cold running water like in the wild encourages some big ones, so I've read. If I ever bother to get a pump I'll try it out.

Back