What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia Bulbs!!

I need some help on making Darlingtonia bulbs grow... If anyone could give me help on growing them, it would be great.

Thanks Alot,
Kevin
sad.gif

by bulbs do you mean the rhizome? if so, just plant it up in a mix of peat/sand/perlite/long fibered sphagnum (or your basic cobra mix). Keep well lite and watered from the top wtith cool water.

The key to the plant's survival is cool roots.

Watering with cold water over the top, around the plant, is the best thing to do.

ALso, the plant really isn't tolerant of high temps ( above mid 80's ) and even more so when the roots aren't cool.

The temp around the plant can be warm, as long as the roots are cool.

I know that I keep beating the 'cool roots' thing, but it is really that important.
biggrin.gif

To help keep the roots cool some people put ice cubes on the soil surface on the super-hot days and as the ice melts it cools the roots. I haven't tried it yet because I just got a Darlingtonia myself last weekend.

have fun!

YOu can also put ice cubes or ice bottles in the tray that way it is sitting in cold water. If you use a turkey baster to squirt water over the roots.. its good.

I'm not convinced about the cool roots business. I dont bother coolong the roots & it grows like a weed for me! I do give it a topdressing of sphagnum, which may help cool the roots by evaporation. growing in a clay pot may also help if you want to keep it cool, as water evaporating from the damp clay cools the pots considerably, but I've never tried this method for darlingtonia. I am trying heliamphora in a clay pot at the moment, but again I find them quite easy with just a sphagnum topping. I do grow hel. in light-coloured pots though, as my normal black ones get too hot to touch in the sun!

Back