What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damping off

Hi all,

I've come across the term "damping off" many times in this forum. I gather that it has somethg to do with the premature death of little seedlings/plantlets.

I have got about 6 little d.intermedia plantlets now. They're about 2-7 weeks old. I've set all of them in little pots with peat/sand and covered the pot with a plastic sheet and put the whole set-up in a tray of rainwater.

How do I prevent these from damping off and dying? What in fact is "damping off"?

I appreciate all replies. Thanks.

Hello,
Damping off is a fungus which attacks young plants, primarily in wet conditions, like CPs. If you notice any little "white cottonballs" on the soil near seedlings, remove it and treat with a fungicide. GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I see... thanks! Looks like I'd better do somethg with my plants... I notice green stuff on the soil!

green stuff may not be bad. Do you use milled sphagnum. It may be the beginning of Sphagnum.

Copper, I use peat/sand... so don't think it's Sphagnum?

Do u think it cld be algae, and is this good or bad?

If it is green and slimey it is algea and not good, but if it is green and sort of webby and then later turns to mini pinetree type things it's sphagnum and good. I have sphagnum pop up in my peat all the time. If it is algea, it may be helpfull to water from the top down to discurage it's excessive growth. If your seedlings are a few weeks old, you probubly don't have to worry to much about damping off. Damping off, according to my organic garden book, is the death on new seedlings or sprouts from one of any of the many pathogenic fungi, protozoin and bacterium found in soil.

Usually, damping off happens really early on and you think the seeds never even sprouted so I wouldn't worry to much at this point
wink.gif

Back