What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. tokensis, d. spatulata

I have both, and I can't find any pictures of D. tokensis online so I can compare. They look exactly the same to me... and my D. tokensis flower stalk looks the same so far too.

D x tokaiensis is the natural hybrid of D. spatulata and rotundifolia from Japan. The plants look very similat to a D. spatulata form but usually have more rounded laminas. Flowerscapes are also very similar.

I have a D.tokaiensis and a D.spatulata. The D.spatula has red outer tentacles and the D. tokaiensis has white outer tentacles and is more bright green. Neither has flowered yet. I have pics of both, but the D.tokaiensis is kinda blurry.

I think what Piranha said is right on the money. D. Tokensis is a bright green color while D. spatulata is a darker green and can be almost red under the right light.

Hmmmm, dunno about the color difference being reliable. Outdoors grown they both become very well colored. The shape of the lamina is really the better criteria.

The colour difference certainly isn't reliable. Mine are grown in strong light and the colour differences between D x tokaiensis and D. spatulata are non-existent.

I might as well ask this here- Is D x tokaiensis cold-hardy?? I was going to leave some outdoors this year and hope that the D.rotundifiolia parentage would maybe help them survive, as an experiment.. D.filiformis survives fine outside overwinter here and it is not "supposed to" so I was going to try this... is it worth a shot?? I have 100 or so plants so even if it's a chancy proposition, I will risk it, only if it's near-guaranteed to fail will I hesitate

ah ok thanks everyone!
bobz, I was spelling it right but google images didn't come up with anything.

I wouldn't trust the plant to survive Canadian winters Carl. Mine have pulled through a freeze or two, but they didn't appreciate it. I would treat this as a semitropical.

Nuts! Okay well then maybe only one pot, just to see (I have SO many of them I am starting to contemplate killing a few of them by "accident" dar it!!)
Thanks T.D. since we share latitudes, I am always much appreciative of advice from you Bro!!

Sure, why not try the experiment! Tell me if you notice anything like incipient hibernacula forming: as the cold weather progressed I sort of noted a tendency to that. I also noted this tendency in the Northernmost populations of Drosera capillaris, and not the long arm form either. I wonder if there isn't some relationship with D. rotundifolia in them as well.

Back