What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Spatulata...or not?

It came marked as a Spatulata, but, it doesn't look like any of my other Spatulata's, and it has a seed pod coming up that doesn't look like theirs either - any ideas?

DSCF9310.jpg

DSCF9300.jpg

There is a wide amount of variation in D. spatulata. Get pictures of the flowers and seeds for a better shot of an ID.

The ones that you have the most of are probably the common type going around that has been argued over about being either D. spatulata typical or possibly D. tokaiensis, while the unusual one looks to be D. spatulata Fraser Island. If it turns red in full sun, then it's probably Fraser.

Thanks, I have tons of the more clumpy low growing Spatulata's, so this one really stood out like "one of these things is not like the other..."

I'll second 'Fraser Island' I have one that looks just like yours down to the single flower although it has produced many other flower stalks with many flowers on it. The only difference is mine has more red and more leaves. Of course without it being labeled or genetic test you can't be sure. But yes it looks like a spatulata.

Now it has the start of a flower, and it's white. The rest of mine have really bright purple/pink ones...sounds more and more like "Fraser Island" is likely - good eye.

Hi,

there's not only the form from Fraser Island with white flowers. I think, you can never be sure about the location the plant comes from.

Christian

That's either a variation of the spatulata species or it's not one at all.
Edit: It looks a lot like the Fraser Island sundews I spotted today while picking up some new plants.

Last edited:
Back