What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spatulata as an annual

Every morning i look over at my little clump of Drosera spatulata, planning and scheming about it. What I was thinking about trying is in the spring once the temp gets above 50 deg or so, repot the clump in a bigger pot, and take a plant and put it outside with my VFTs here in Atlanta. I have a couple questions about that idea.

1) Can they, like D. capensis, take the freeze by coming back from roots in the spring
2) Can they mature fast enough outside to grow from seed to flower before winter hits and the plants die?

Thanks!

I find D. spatulata can reach maturity within about 6 months. Some varieties such some of the New Zealand types, actually normally go dormant. I also seen D. spatulata 'Kansai' return from it's roots after dying back in winter.

I agree with CPKhoas, I also did the same experience (growing them outdoor) and succeed with some from australia.
my D. spatulata 'Kansai' (also D. x tokaiensis I think) make me enouth seeds for next year's grow...but they still hold on
cool.gif

Back