What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.sp 'cuba' ?

I think the plants in Sebastian's pics are definitely of some S.African species...

Fernando

Thats an interesting looking flower scape:) The rosette looks alot like my D.spat#2 I wonder if it will flower "forked"?

Yes, Robert agrees as well that it is likely a South African. He was only familiar with this as a form of D. spatulata as mentioned, but after some discussion I think we are all in agreement that it is a South African.

It seems very much related to dielsiana, at least superficially. I note the slightly dark bases on some of the flower photos offered that I have come to associate with D. dielsiana and "nearly D. dielsiana". I am looking forward to seeing the seed and growing this little mystery of many names.

I should point out that Robert corrected me as to the open (relfexed) sepals in D. spatulata, saying this feature is not always well developed even on adjacent buds. He is right, but usually idf you look closely you will find a few pods with this feature on the scape, and when you do, D. spatulata should come to mind.

Pond Boy, D. spatulata sometimes forks as well, but this particular forking seems consistent. One bud lower down the scape, and the rest on another fork higher up. If your plant is indeed D. spatulata, it is not the plant in these photos.

Hi,

I found out, that there seem to be two different plant with such a scape. One ist the "D. spec 11 'cuba'", the plant sebastian has and the other one is the plant i have. My plant is known as "D. spec. 'south africa'" in Germany and as "D. spec 4" in America. The difference in these two plants is, that the "spec. south-africa" has 6 petals, while the "spec 11 'cuba'" has 5 petals. The 6 petals in "sepc. south-africa" seem to be stable. It is not clear, if the D. "spec south-africa" is really from SAF!. I have summarised this from an answer i got from Andreas Fleischmann on our german board. If you can read german, i recommend to read the original you can find here : http://www.carnivoren.org/cgi-bin....4023207

regards,
Christian

Thanks for the info Christian.

Will have to wait until i can see an open flower and confirm mine has 5 petals.

Very interesting Christian, I ran Andreas' post through a translator and got a general idea of what he said. I remain convinced that these are South African Drosera species (and if not, what else could they possibly be?). The history is very interesting regarding these plants though, so thanks for making the inquiry!

Hi,

One of my plants is flowering at the moment! I have taken several pictures of my D. spec 'South Africa' in the last days. Here they are :

sp_south_africa_DROS51_006_18062004tn.jpg

higher resolution

sp_south_africa_DROS51_018_16072004tn.jpg

higher resolution
sp_south_africa_DROS51_001_18062004tn.jpg

higher resolution

sp_south_africa_DROS51_009_16072004tn.jpg

higher resolution

sp_south_africa_DROS51_010_16072004tn.jpg

higher resolution

sp_south_africa_DROS51_011_16072004tn.jpg

higher resolution